Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 23, 2024

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Tuesday, April 23, 2024 -- Mattie died 760 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. Mattie was two years old and that day I took him the Reston Zoo. I absolutely loved this Zoo, because it was small, very hands on, and designed for the younger kids. Mattie was fascinated by all the animals and enjoyed walking and running around, feeding the goats, the pony rides, and the wagon ride into the fields to see more of the farm animals. Life with Mattie was just that.... full of LIFE! Everyday was an adventure. 




Quote of the day: Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.John Galsworthy


Just when I think life can't get anymore hysterical, today topped the list. I was running around to get breakfast made and my dad washed and dressed, because we had an air conditioning inspection at 10am. Twice a year, we pay for a service to check the heat and air systems in the house and change air filters. The technician who came was a lovely man. A young fellow, but he could see I was caregiving for both of my parents. He then told me that his first career was that of a nurse. He was inspired to do this because his grandmother had dementia. After several years, he burned out, and switched professions. What I quickly deduced was he was insightful enough to know I was balancing a lot and on my own. 

He walked me through each system today, he explained the air filters to me, and told me that he would be happy working with me every six months to keep the systems up and operational. So Elijah is now my heating/cooling angel! I need as many angels in my corner. He offered this to me because he said, literally, you are balancing too much alone and he wants to take this worry off my plate. Mind you this service comes with the contract I have with the company, so I am not paying extra for his visits. But what this means to me, is he is a sensitive man, who wants to help me. 

Unfortunately Elijah brought a major issue to my attention today. For those of you who have followed the blog for years, know that when we moved into this house, it was a nightmare. The house needed extensive repairs, so much so that we had the trades living in our house for three months. One of the things on the future radar scope was the furnace. Today, the worst news came to me, I no longer could wait. The whole furnace and AC condenser needs replacing. Dear Lord, how much more can Vicki take? 

I was in a rip roaring mood all day. When I went to pick my dad up at the memory care center, it took him about 25 minutes to come out! I knew something was up. The issue? They took my dad to the bathroom, but no one stayed in the bathroom with him. BIG mistake. He clearly pooped on himself and his clothes. They tried to clean him up but by the time he got to the car, he reeked. Naturally when I got home, I sent an email to the program director.

Soon there getting home, the person selling me a new furnace showed up. I was juggling him, everything else, and trying to prep dinner. Honestly, I ask myself, how I survive each day? I have no answers, truthfully. Needless to say, I will have workmen here starting at 7am on Saturday, and they told me to plan for a full day of installment. God give me strength, because I range from extremely angry to disillusioned and upset. 

No comments: