Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 25, 2024

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2005. Mattie was three years old. That day we took him to the National Arboretum. It was one of my favorite places to visit in the month of April. Mainly because they have thousands of azaleas all in bloom. It truly is an unforgettable sight, especially coming off of winter. As most of Mattie's friends are graduating from college this spring, for me, life stopped when Mattie died at age 7. No matter how much time goes by, life for me is forever 7. I have no doubt if Mattie were alive today, he would be my greatest ally. 


Quote of the day: Love is love, I told her, as I tell all of my patients who are ashamed to find themselves shattered by the death of a dog. Loss is loss. ~ Meg Donohue


My day started at 6am. I got up early to manage all my morning chores, before the HVAC team arrived at 8:30am. When I tell you I literally had to drag myself out of bed, I am not kidding. I was told to prepare for a furnace install to take 6-8 hours. The two guys were efficient, professional, and literally within three hours that installed the unit and the condenser outside. Because strangers in the house upsets Indie, the cat, I moved her food and liter box to one of the bedrooms on our second floor. I think she was grateful! 

While the furnace was being installed, I decided to go grocery shopping while my dad's physical therapist was here. It is a chore I prefer to do mid-week when most people are at work or school. For the most part I dislike crowds and in my hyper alert stage, I need to keep moving. 

Later in the afternoon, I took my parents to Starbucks. Truthfully this is about the only place we can go to, because my mom and I are devastated and it is comforting to know all the people working at the store and at the same time, NOT have to talk to anyone. I have little to no interest in engaging in conversation. It is too taxing and it neither helps my head, heart, or spirit. Naturally whenever my dad is in tow, there is no peace. I landed up taking him to the bathroom twice at Starbucks. I assure you IBS and dementia are a diabolical combination. My parents are lucky I have a strong constitution, because after one of my dad's bathroom routines, most people would be sworn off of food for good. 

When we got back home, I settled my parents down. They napped for several hours, and I went out to our front yard. I weeded for over an hour and filled up a half of a large garbage bin. The one thing this house is never short on and that's weeds. Thankfully I find it therapeutic to pull out weeds. After yard work, I made dinner. Our meals are typically filled with laments or commentary from my mom and my dad jumping up to the bathroom. I haven't ate a meal in peace for almost three years. 

The highlight of my day, was I received this lovely pop up card from my friend and colleague, Jean. Jean reminded me of a memory we both share.... a professional conference we attended in Hawaii. 

In order to attend this conference, I flew out to Los Angeles and I left Mattie with my parents. I then continued on to Hawaii and I think I was there for about four days. I traveled there alone and I frankly will never forget that moment in time. I was on my way to be elected the President of the American Mental Health Counselors Association. With this big position, a lot of leadership was interested in getting to know me and to interact with me. I recall going out to many wonderful dinners with leaders and at that moment in time, I thought my life was headed in a particular direction. Little did I know that only a few years later, Mattie would get diagnosed with cancer. I NEVER was able to serve my role as president of that organization and my future career and interests changed overnight. Never to be seen again. Going to Hawaii was a happy and exciting time and if someone would have told me that my destination was to have Mattie die in my arms and then 15 years after that have my husband leave me, I would NOT have believed it for one minute. If only I could turn the hands of time back to that moment in Hawaii.  

No comments: