Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 15, 2017

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2005. I happen to just love this photo! I took it of Mattie outside the National Geographic Museum in Washington, DC. I thought it was priceless how he decided to hug this ape. The beauty and wonders of Mattie..... as all our weekends were always an adventure. Mattie was very bright, which was a mixed blessing. He needed constant stimulation and challenges, which we tried to give him. Usually with success. After Mattie died, our weekends were truly problematic for Peter and me. We were absolutely lost and directionless, so much so that we hated weekends for the longest time. 


Quote of the day: If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. ~ Betty Reese



I am on day 3 of candy delivery, with two more days to go!!!

This morning I met up with Angela Ashman, the Program Director for Special Love. Special Love is a non-profit 
that helps children with cancer to “just be kids,” through camps, emergency financial assistance, college scholarships and community support.

If Mattie were alive, he would be besides himself with Special Love's mini van, as it looks like Scooby Doo's Mystery Machine. Mattie was a HUGE Scooby Doo fan! Though Special Love isn't located around the corner, Angela and I always meet half way, as we are happy to support her organization. 


So I met Angela at Tyson's Corner, and then drove to Bethesda, MD. My second delivery today was at the Children's Inn at NIH. I am pictured with Laura King, the Senior Director of Volunteers & Community Outreach. The Children’s Inn at NIH is a residential “Place Like Home’’ for families with children participating in leading-edge research studies at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

When I arrived at the Inn, the staff at the front desk called me, "the Candy Queen." I joked with them that they promoted me from lady to queen! Needless to say, in order to get onto the campus of NIH, I have to get out of my car. My car has to be inspected and I have to go through a metal detector and show my ID. The security folks are always amazed by the candy. You should see how their faces go from all serious to smiling in seconds after seeing the candy! Isn't it funny the impact of candy on all age groups?


After driving to Bethesda, I then drove to Alexandria, VA! I felt like a shuttle service this morning..... DC to Tyson's, Tyson's to Bethesda, Bethesda to Alexandria, and Alexandria to DC.

In any case, I reloaded my car with nine bins worth of candy for tomorrow's delivery! Lifting one of these bags is more than enough, but a countless number of bags becomes taxing! 

No comments: