Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 18, 2017

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2005. Mattie was three years old and doing one of his favorite activities in our living room..... painting with his feet! Do not ask me why Mattie loved doing this, because the whole notion brings great discomfort to me! Yet Mattie had a ball creating and we made many greeting card covers this way! The beauty of Mattie however was he was very neat! I never had to worry that he was going to run off the paper and get paint all over our home. IT NEVER HAPPENED. Mattie wasn't impulsive and had an understanding that paint did not belong on carpets and furniture. Which was most likely why I had no problem inviting paint, clay, and other messy products into our living space. 


Quote of the day: I am exhausted... A task like this is possible for a month but for more than two it's murderous... ~ Claude Monet


It's been quite a two weeks! Just processing 12,000 pounds of candy was enough to wipe me out for a month. But now we head into Thanksgiving. We have Peter's parents visiting, starting on Monday, so there is no down time. Food and other preparations need to be managed. In addition, Peter and I have taken on the care of our neighbor who is recovering from a serious accident which lead to fractured bones and surgery. When I tell you we are moving from one chore to another today, I am not kidding. It is 11:30pm, and I am just sitting still for the day to write this blog. 


The one peaceful highlight of the day, was we took Sunny to Roosevelt Island. The poor guy was getting very stir crazy at home, watching us as we were doing chores. Sunny absolutely loves Roosevelt Island and like us, he stops in his tracks whenever he sees deer. Can you see this cutie camouflaged so beautifully in between the branches?

Some days, I get so focused on working that I do not want to divert my attention. But with Sunny that isn't possible. He needs to go on long walks, and I find these mandatory breaks are vital. It gets us outside, interacting with others, and taking in nature. I believe Mattie would have approved of Sunny, since Mattie LOVED outdoor time, exploring, and appreciating the freedom that only a green space can provide.

No comments: