Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 10, 2018

Tuesday July 10, 2018

Tuesday July 10, 2018 -- Mattie died 460 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in November 2008 on the last birthday I ever celebrated with Mattie. We were several months into Mattie's cancer treatment and past his first limb-salvaging surgery. He worked out a plan in advance to make me a model magic cake in celebration of my birthday. This shot was taken just after he had proudly presented to me. The cake still sits today on a bureau at home.

It is a moment I will never forget, and one I will never have the chance to experience again. Mattie died in September 2009 two months before my next birthday. At the time this shot was taken, never did I imagine that I would not have another chance to do something like this with Mattie. 

In subsequent years when my birthday comes around, I focus less on the number of years I have been alive, and instead focus on the number of years I now live without Mattie. 

Today is the 3,227th day since Mattie died, and with his loss, I also lost a large part of me, of who I am, of how I look at this world and at others, and what I thought my life was going to be.



































I came across this picture in one of my bereavement groups on Facebook. Yes, I belong to a bereavement group on Facebook. Actually, I belong to three groups now (I had belonged to more but dropped some since they were not helpful). The is a statue in Geneva called "Melancholy" by Albert Gyorgy.

It was posted in one of the bereavement groups telling us that July is Bereaved Parents Month. That's not the kind of "let's Celebrate the month of...." that you would ever hear on the radio or see on a newscast. I researched the artist a little and all the genuine sites I found about him were in foreign languages I cannot read. Not sure what the impetus or motivation was for this artist to create this piece, but dollars to donuts, he has some insights into loss.

What I do know is that visually this resonated with me an allegorical depiction of how life feels sometimes for me after having lost my child to cancer. Words cannot begin to describe what it feels like and lets be honest, most normal parents in this world do not want to or cannot even go there and begin imagining what life is like without their child. It hits at all times and unpredictably, and literally feels as though a significant portion of oneself is literally missing, forever. 

I wish I were a poet or talented story teller who could better describe this feeling, but then again, I am not sure I would want anyone else to ever experience this kind of feeling.

No comments: