Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 20, 2008

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Our morning began by a nice visit from JJ and his owner, JP. JJ was very happy to see Mattie and we continue to notice that JJ is making an effort to also get to know Patches (Mattie's cat). The irony about this is JJ and Patches seem fascinated by each other, and they do not live up to the usual picture we have in our heads of... dog chases cat, and cat is scared.

Later on in the morning, JP (our neighbor) brought over his cleaning ladies to help clean our home from top to bottom. As a very self-reliant and sufficient person, every stage of this process has been humbling. I always prided myself on the fact that I could work, be a full-time mom, and also keep things clean and organized at home. However, with each day, Peter and I learn we need to admit at times that we need help and we can't do everything. We frankly don't have the energy to do it all, and whatever energy we do have should be going to Mattie! So I must admit I was skeptical about having someone help me clean, and felt that this was just another part of my life that I couldn't control anymore, and yet would now have to manage someone else in my life. But then walked in Carmenza and her assistant Blanca. These two ladies are delightful, did not get under toe, where sensitive to Mattie's condition, and also told us they will be praying for Mattie each sunday at church. I am happy to report that our home smells beautiful and clean, and the positive spin is I did not have to lift a finger. The wonders of cognitive reframing!

At noon, we had a special visit from Bob Weiman, SSSAS's Head of the Lower School. Bob also visited Mattie at the hospital last week and began to teach Mattie some wonderful magic tricks. Mattie performed these tricks for many of his visitors and the nurses. It is funny how magic can bring people of all ages together, and how conversations can just unfold because we are all intrigued and want to know the techniques behind the illusions. Bob, who learned magic from his dad, arrived today with a hand crafted magic bag for Mattie. The bag was adorable. It has Mattie's name and a wonderful painted magic wand on the front. Inside the bag were several new tricks that Bob taught Mattie, and that Mattie gets to keep. Peter and I were equally fascinated, and I had a good time watching Mattie trying to teach the tricks to Peter and I. It is very special to have Mattie's Head of School visit our home, but how many Head of Schools can also perform magic and have the patience and passion to teach little kids how to do this? My guess is not many. Besides Bob's ability to run a lower school, and do magic, he also has a way with food. He brought us some wonderful salads and delicious fruit, and even made a wonderful supply of Scooby Doo mac and cheese for Mattie. Not to mention Mattie's all time favorite, a McDonald's vanilla shake! These were major hits with Mattie. Below you will see some pictures we took of Mattie with Bob. Thanks Bob for perking all of us up!
At the moment, all is quiet in the Brown house. Mattie is resting. As many of you know Mattie never naps, so this is yet another change that reminds us of what Mattie is contending with each day. However, this was another good day, and we take all of those that come our way. I want to thank Julie as well for coming over today and dropping off a Mattie care package filled with things such as pedisure and carnation instant breakfast powder (all good sources of protein for Mattie). Julie, Mattie is still taking his meds. The nose trick works!
Thank you Ann, for calling today just to say hi. Ann is on vacation, but is deeply concerned about Mattie and even though Ann and I have known each other for years and serve on RCC's board together, I have a feeling we will get to know each other even better through this journey. What I find most remarkable, is Mattie's story seems to touch everybody, even people we do not directly know. For example, my friend, Charlie (a retired Lt. Colonel in the Air Force) told her two friends about Mattie's situation. She told them that Mattie is fascinated by ships and planes, particularly military ones. Low and behold, Charlie's friends mailed Mattie two packages of wonderful pictures of navy ships, air craft carriers, and fighter planes. Not to mention lots of military patches for Mattie to put on things. One of the men who mailed us the package has a son in the Navy, who is stationed on the USS Enterprise. Charlie's friend plans on visiting his son soon, and will send Mattie something from the USS Enterprise. The kindness and generosity of others continue to amaze me. I thank each and everyone of you for your e-mails, cards, gifts, and prayers. They do not go unnoticed or unrecognized.

5 comments:

Julia said...

Hi! We just got back from St Louis and checked your blog immediately (no internet at my mom's). What a difference a week makes (or even a day, as you've said). We're happy to see he's feeling so much better. Love the new 'do too! Hugs from the Lees.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vicki, Pete and Mattie,
I, too, have been out of the loop and was frantic wondering how you all were doing. Checking the blog is now part of our daily routine and thinking about you and praying for "good days" is a daily occurence. I know this temporary stint where Mattie can't be exposed won't be easy, but I pray it won't last too long. We continue to think about you all daily.
Love you lots,
Amany

Anonymous said...

Vicki and Pete, It is wonderful how so many people come together to send their positive energy and good thoughts your way. I too have made checking your blog a part of my daily routine and always hope to find that it has been a good day. Hope today is another good day.

Love, Audrey

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
How is everyone doing? I was so great to hear that you got some help cleaning the house yesterday! I can't wait till we come and see Mattie! Those cute pictures of him smiling warmed my heart! I will be thinking and praying for you guys!
Lots of love always,
Mimi

MelissaT said...

Hi guys, so glad to hear Mattie's doing better and learning so many fun things on top of the not so fun things. Thanks for sharing the nose trick tip. I look forward to Mattie's performing his magic tricks for us one day soon!! Thinking of all you. Lots of hugs and kisses, Melissa (Voxiva)