Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 4, 2012

Monday, June 4, 2012

Monday, June 4, 2012


Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2007. One weekend we took Mattie to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The home of the Pennsylvania Dutch. Mattie loved the farms and was particularly interested in the wagons. It was on that trip that Mattie and I were introduced to apple butter, and we both absolutely loved it! So much so that when we came home, Mattie wanted apple butter on all bread products he ate!


Quote of the day: If we are intended for great ends, we are called to great hazards. ~ Cardinal John Henry Newman


My friend Charlie sent me this quote today, and it absolutely resonated with me. I most certainly could have done without childhood cancer in my life, seeing Mattie suffer and die from this disease, and be forced to continue living in my current state. To me, Mattie's cancer and his death are a "great hazard." I never claim to be the only one faced with such tragedy. I am very aware of the multitude of travesties that surround us in the world, in our neighborhoods, and that impact individuals each day. However, since this blog is about Mattie, his battle, and the battle that Peter and I continue to live with, I feel it is safe to say that this is my "great hazard." From my experience, great hazards can make one passionate about an issue and cause, and thereby motivate one to achieve great ends.

In my mind, the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation had a very successful year, and as such, I deem this a "great end" or a great beginning as the case may be. I view the success of the third annual Walk as a small victory, since we were able to meet our financial goal and be able to strongly support the Mattie Miracle Childlife Program Fund at Georgetown University Hospital. A fund that helps hundreds of children and families a year. However, for me great victories do not come without consequences. Consequences on my health for example.

The Foundation isn't only a job for me, it has deep seeded emotional ties, which can of course make me passionate about the subject matter, but it can also be taxing on my mind and body, unlike any other job I have previously held. Despite being on antibiotics for 10 days, last night, all my symptoms came back and I was unable to sleep. So this time, I saw my doctor and filled her in on my last two weeks. I am back on antibiotics, a different one, in hopes that it will relieve me of my sinus infection. 

Because of how I am feeling, I am signing off for tonight. But I did receive all of our professional Walk photos, and hopefully I will be able to comb through them soon and share them! They are absolutely fantastic and capture the beauty and spirit of the event.  

No comments: