Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 23, 2012

Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday, July 23, 2012


Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2008, two days after Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. On July 23, 2008, our world was immediately altered and not for the better. We were in a daze, very stressed out and anxious. Mattie requested that we have Christmas in July that week. So out came our outside Christmas lights and decorations and we placed them all over our deck. Peter snapped a picture of Mattie and I together, and frankly I remember this moment in time like it were yesterday, and NOT four years ago.


Quote of the day: It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone. ~ Rose Kennedy

I relate to Rose Kennedy's sentiments quite well. Four years have gone by since Mattie was diagnosed with cancer, and yet the pain of this day will never be gone from our reality or hearts. Not that anything can be said to make this day better for us, but when others do acknowledge it, it makes me feel like Mattie is remembered and in essence we are cared about. My friend Mary's birthday is today, and yet Mary is very aware of what this date holds for Peter and I. Mary's daughters attended a nature camp today, and when she picked her girls up from camp she snapped a picture of Abby and Emily for me. Mary wanted me to know that her whole family was thinking of Mattie today, so much so that the girls wore their Mattie Miracle t-shirts to the first day of camp. These shirts were purposefully picked to acknowledge the day. To me this was a special gift, a gift of remembrance. It is certainly very meaningful to me when those who I know remember Mattie and address his loss with me. However, the beauty of this picture is that the next generation is also making a visual statement about the life of Mattie. Needless to say Mary's picture meant a great deal to me today. 



Peter and I took a walk by the Potomac River today. It was incredibly humid and a three mile walk in this heat was a feat. Yet one of the sightings on our journey was that of the Matthew Hayes. The Matthew Hayes is a sight seeing boat which we took Mattie on, and when I see it, I always remember that particular day. It was a Friday afternoon in the spring, in which I picked Mattie up from kindergarten and then all three of us met up to go on a spur of the moment tour. It was a tour Mattie loved, especially since Mattie loved boats. If you asked Mattie what he was saving the money in his piggy bank for, he would tell you to buy a boat. Not a toy boat mind you, but a real boat one day.

 

When Mattie was a baby and toddler, I would walk with him by the Potomac River quite often. So I know exactly where the ducks like to hang out. Today we stopped to feed the ducks at one of Mattie's stomping grounds. Just like when I was with Mattie, these ducks were thrilled to see us today, and began lining up at the dock as we approached.

No comments: