Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 3, 2012

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 -- Mattie died 147 weeks ago today.


Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006. I recall this lunch very well, because it was Easter Sunday. We took Mattie to his favorite restaurant, and to our surprise, they had a life sized Easter Bunny going from table to table to take pictures with the kids. When this bunny approached our table, Mattie was hesitant to take a picture with this character, until I told Mattie it was alright. Mattie was much braver than I was at his age. Because at age 4, I would have been hiding under the table to avoid this big rabbit coming near me!



Quote of the day: Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust and hostility to evaporate. ~ Albert  Schweitzer

As it is another Tuesday, marking Mattie's death, I reflect on his loss and also am aware that today is the day before Independence Day. It is hard to believe that this will be our third Fourth of July without Mattie in our lives. Somehow time keeps marching on, but in our hearts no holiday will ever be the same.

I was doing chores today, and when I got home, I noticed Mattie's sandbox had its lid off and also had an occupant. A little girl who couldn't be more than 3 years old, was playing in Mattie's box! Mattie's sandbox no longer sits on our deck. Instead it sits right outside our deck door in our common space. It sits there because I am just not sure what to do with it otherwise. Removing Speedy Red (Mattie's ride on car) off the deck was hard enough, but the sandbox goes much further back in Mattie's history. Mattie loved his frog sandbox and if you open the lid now, you can still find several of Mattie's favorite sand toys in there.

In order to get inside my front door, I had to pass this little girl and her grandmother. I did not stop to chat, but did acknowledge them and said hello. I just did not want to get into a conversation about the sandbox, or to even have them thank me for the use of this wonderful diversion. For getting into a conversation would naturally lead to.... whose sandbox this was! This is not the only little person near us who plays in Mattie's sandbox. Actually many of the little ones who live in our complex get great use out of Mattie's box. I am not sure if this would make Mattie smile or if it would displease him. As for myself, I have been on both ends of the continuum over this issue, from being very opposed to seeing other children touching Mattie's box, to now being okay with it. That sandbox brought Mattie hours of pleasure and his creativity inside of the box was amazing. He created ramps for his sand cars out of wooden scraps Peter had, and some of these ramps are still within the sand today. Seeing the box in use now, simply reminds me of Mattie and our many hours together outside.

No comments: