Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 18, 2013

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2006. This was a typical everyday scene with Mattie. Legos everywhere!!! Mattie incorporated Legos into all his play schemes, and with Legos his imagination came alive. The long Lego design here was supposed to represent an airport runway. What I also love about this photo was Mattie's big smile. With Mattie, I learned all about Legos and building outside the box. Mattie preferred to build from his imagination than from a plan. Though he could follow any Lego plan without a problem. He was, as I called Mattie all the time "our little engineer."


Quote of the day: I've reached the point where I hardly care whether I live or die. The world will keep on turning without me, I can't do anything to change events anyway. ~ Anne Frank


At first read, Anne Frank's quote may seem depressing. However, given the circumstances she was living under, she had a lot to be depressed about. Nonetheless, anyone who has lost a loved one, can probably relate wholeheartedly to Frank's sentiments! Why? Because the hardest thing to come to terms with after someone you love dies is the simple fact that the world does keep on turning. I remember when Mattie died, for me the world ended. I am not sure what I was expecting, maybe on some level I was expecting others all around me to be sad and worn down too. Mattie's death seemed earth shattering to me, so much so that I felt EVERYONE would be equally traumatized. This of course did not happen! I was stunned to see people going out to Starbuck's and buying coffee and socializing. I was also stunned to see people in restaurants laughing and being happy about living. I wanted to shake these people and let them know that while they were laughing a beautiful seven year old just lost his life!!! I couldn't wrap my head around any of this since for me there was no world. It stopped existing as I knew it on September 8, 2009 (the day Mattie died). 

Four families lose a child each day in our Country to cancer. This isn't well reported but it is a reality. I know that we live in a culture in which the vast majority gets its facts from the media! Big mistake!!! Unlike other newsworthy deaths, which frankly the media covers for their political gains and sensationalism, children are dying daily. But I bet you won't hear about this on NBC, CBS, and ABC!!! Two classrooms of children are being diagnosed with cancer daily too. But where is the media coverage???!! None of them were by my side on the day Mattie was diagnosed or the day he died. You maybe saying, why would Vicki expect the media to be there?! Well I didn't but I am trying to make a point. The point is my child's death was just as important to me than anything else the media could possibly cover. I am sure thousands of other parents who also lost a child to cancer would agree with me. Where is the justice?!

Anne Frank felt there was nothing she could do to change her reality or future events. I can appreciate her loss of hope and her feelings of helplessness. Parents who have children with cancer and worse those who lose a child to cancer, relate to Frank's helplessness. After all, how do we change our culture's thinking?! How do we get people to focus upon this healthcare crisis, a crisis in which more than 13,000 children are diagnosed with cancer a year?!!!  I have no answers, other than we just have to keep on writing, verbalizing, and advocating for the needs of children with cancer and their families. Will all my advocating bring Mattie back?! Certainly not. So why do it? The answer is I primarily do it because it keeps Mattie's memory alive. My small life keeps on turning, in the larger picture of the world, because Mattie remains a part of my life. He is in my thoughts, my writings, and my daily work. 


I am still not feeling well, but throughout the day, my lifetime friend Karen was sending me photos from Madrid. She sent me many wonderful cow photos. Some were alive and some were paintings. Why cows? Well my faithful readers know I love cows. I particularly love Holstein cows, the black and white ones. The photo I am sharing with you tonight I entitled, "olives and chocolate." Clearly Karen saw this and immediately thought of me. Though I have never thought about chocolate and olives together, now that I see it I say, WHY NOT!!!!! My two favorite things!!! Needless to say it brought a smile to my face.

No comments: