Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 20, 2013

Friday, September 20, 2013

Friday, September 20, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2003. Mattie loved to sneak behind all the plant stands to look out our big windows. What Mattie was holding onto was a wrought iron plant stand, a stand that is still in our living room today. However, the stand now hosts many of the art projects and Lego structures Mattie created. I did not necessarily set out to do this, to create a memory display, but it just naturally formed. Now I add to it periodically. This is also a plant stand that Patches used to jump upon in order to sit up high enough to look out the window. She too gravitated to this plant stand, which maybe why, Patches ashes are also located on it. This plant stand has been transformed into our memory stand!

Quote of the day: Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off. ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

I can't believe it but even within a free art class, which I attended last night, there was COMPETITION. Which is why FDR's quote resonates with me. The competition began as soon as the instructor went around and asked the five of us to introduce ourselves. Specifically he asked us to talk about our experience and skills with painting. That alone made me laugh! Mind you I would never have signed up for this class out of the blue, a friend of mine signed me up. 

It was downright funny. The only male in the class described his skills as non-existent. Saying that he used oil paints years ago, but hasn't painted in a long time. Newsflash................. that wasn't exactly accurate given his skill set that I saw. Then another class member, who I would describe as edgy and agitating, quickly needed to tell us that she takes art classes and also has several pieces on display in the studio. Needless to say, the class dynamics were notable. Then there was me, the only person in the group who had never taken a drawing or painting class. No pressure there. Frankly I did not go in with any stress, but after being around a couple of these folks, my anxiety level went up.

The male student even asked me why I came to this class! He wanted me to know that watercolor is a hard medium and not a good one to start with. Lovely, like I could have done anything about that while being in the class.


Any case, the instructor presented us with this photo of a scene in Maine. Apparently he just got back from Maine and was enamored by its beauty and landscapes. He showed us several of the watercolors he created based on this one photograph. His watercolors were lovely and the goal was for us to copy this photograph on a piece of watercolor block paper. He taught us the basic step by step process of how to begin, which meant sketching the scene on the paper. I maybe able to mix colors and put color together but I can't draw. I think without being able to draw and visualize space, it is hard to paint portrays and landscapes. But I plugged along!

Obviously the students who knew how to paint already were getting bored with his pace, and therefore began to redirect the pace, which I did not care for. But I could appreciate why the teacher veered off his plan in order to accommodate the students. I think being rushed while trying to create is actually counterproductive. It not only prevents creativity, but in a way it forces one to conform to how others are doing the art.  

Toward the end of the two and half hour session, we all had to display our final product. Frankly for my first watercolor, I thought it was fine. But apparently I was in the minority. I think people questioned my bold colors. I like color and to me the more bold the colors the more vivid the feelings and the scene. Any case, you can judge it for yourself!

I would like to step back and try to imagine what this class could have looked like if there was cooperation, as FDR mentioned in his quote. Cooperation between students. There is something very unhealthy about the Washington, DC social scene when one feels the need to compete with others in a free art class. I would like to think this kind of behavior just exists here, but I know this is most likely human nature. At the end of the class the teacher wanted to invite students to attend his actual watercolor classes. Now part of me is intrigued because I would like to learn to paint, but on the other hand, if the class dynamics are what I experienced last night, that would defeat the purpose of going.

No comments: