Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 17, 2013

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. As you can see Mattie was playing a keyboard. This keyboard was given to him by Jerry and Nancy! Jerry and Nancy work together as music volunteers at the Hospital. In fact, we met them during Mattie's very first week of treatment. Their music, entertainment, and conversation really made a difference to us that evening, the evening when Mattie was to start his very first chemotherapy. For just a short moment in time we all felt normal, we forgot we were in a PICU, and there was laughter in the room. The power of music! Over time, Jerry and Nancy became friends of ours and would do a "Name that Tune" game with Mattie. Mattie loved the game because Jerry always played songs Mattie knew! Jerry and I worked that out ahead of time through emails, so that Mattie would feel happy and good about his guessing! This was a very generous and thoughtful gift from Jerry and Nancy. A gift we held onto for a very long time. However, on Friday, October 4, when Peter and I visited Georgetown, we donated the keyboard back to the Hospital for other kids to enjoy. Jerry and Nancy loved this decision and hopefully music will continue to live on in the pediatric units.


Quote of the day: We don't heal in isolation, but in community. ~ S. Kelley Harrell


Today my mom and I ventured to the Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino, California. Close to Pasadena! This is another gorgeous museum. In so many ways because of California's climate, museums can really provide incredible outdoor spaces in which one can appreciate nature and the intricate beauty that it provides. A visit to a museum in Southern California is a treat that goes beyond the confines of four walls. I absolutely love the greenery and gardens as well as the mountainous terrain. We haven't visited this museum since Mattie died! Mattie loved the outdoor component and the gardens, but since we haven't been to this museum in five years, a lot has changed. It is under construction and honestly none of the buildings look the same. Fortunately the outdoors gardens are intact and still beautiful.

We saw two exhibits today at the Huntington. The first was entitled, Face to Face: Flanders, Florence, and Renaissance Painting. It was a small and intimate exhibit but powerful. While many exhibitions have shed light on the beauty of Flemish 15th-century painting, and even more have celebrated the glory of Italian Renaissance art, “Face to Face: Flanders, Florence, and Renaissance Painting” is the first in the United States to explore how Flemish artists helped make the innovative, sophisticated, and beautiful works of the Italian Renaissance possible. With 29 paintings and about six illuminated manuscripts by artists such as Jan van Eyck, Hans Memling, Pietro Perugino, and Domenico Ghirlandaio drawn from The Huntington’s collections and those of several other institutions in the United States and Europe. Bringing together works from Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence; the National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin; and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, among others, “Face to Face” juxtaposes Flemish and Italian works in thematic groupings, exploring the form of the diptych (is any object with two flat plates attached at a hinge), the depiction of the face of Christ, the evolution of portraiture, elements of landscape painting, and the virtuosic rendering of forms and textures.

My mom and I learned a lot from this exhibit. I had no idea the incredible influence the Flemish had on the world of art in Italy. The Flemish introduced the Italians to oil paints, the beauty of including landscapes within portraits, as well as painting people straight on versus in profile.


The next exhibit we saw was entitled, Junipero Serra and the legacies of the California missions. I have to admit I must have missed something in my educational career. I even went to high school in California, but I assure you I had no idea who Junipero Serra was until today. This exhibit is highly thought provoking, it brings up many politically challenging topics, and frankly leaves you feeling disillusioned. Whenever I learn about people persecuting others, taking away their freedoms to be, live, and have their own values and beliefs, I become disgusted and disheartened about the human race.

I will give you a brief description of the exhibit so you can put this into context, but then I will share with you the highlight of our  visit...... a chance encounter with a full blooded Apache Native American! A FIRST for me!!!

The exhibit description:
Learning about California's missions is a rite of passage for California's fourth graders and their parents. Yet few might realize that Junipero Serra, the Franciscan priest who founded many of the missions, was already 55 years old by the time he came to California in 1769, a milestone preceded by decades of service in Spain and Mexico.

The exhibition also provides the backdrop against which the missions emerged: early California was home to numerous and diverse groups of Indians for millennia before the Spanish arrived. Culture and customs varied from village to village, Indians in California spoke more than 100 languages and Indians in the parts of California colonized by Spain numbered nearly 70,000.

Serra, under the auspices of the Catholic Church and the Spanish flag and in keeping with a centuries-old tradition of Spanish missionaries coming to the Americas, believed his life's work was to convert Indians to Christianity. The missions were vibrant outposts of European culture and an expression of a Catholic spiritual ideal. But they also were shaped by the Indians who lived in them. Further still, missions had a darker side. In many ways they were coercive, and Serra's work encouraging California Indians to relocate to the missions ultimately led thousands to early graves, as diseases killed many who came to live there as well as many more born in the Franciscan establishments.


This exhibit was quite big and was housed in over 5 rooms. When my mom and I comb through an exhibit, we can be there for hours. We read all the signs, documentation, and view the art. We usually land up chatting about it along the way as well. I suppose we are a curator's dream! Not everyone shares our love for spending time learning about the art. Needless to say, this exhibit was emotionally charged, but needless to say, without personal context, sometimes it is hard to get the true magnitude of what you are reading.

That instantly changed for me when a man walked up to us and started talking to us. This man's name was David and he is a full blooded Apache Native American, born on a reservation in Texas. We learned that ONLY 11 people remain from his group because the rest were killed. David shared with us aspects of his life, how alcoholism impacted the lives of his grandparents and how at a young age he was separated from his parents and family and forced to attend a school in which he had to learn Catholicism. His stories of coercion and abuse were almost too hard to listen to and frankly it made you pause and ask yourself WHAT COUNTRY AM I LIVING IN?!!! But here is the next best kept secret, or at least it was to me. Native Americans are considered US citizens, however, if one is born on a Native American reservation, then you are NOT allowed to vote!!! I repeat, David has NO voting rights despite working and paying taxes and being a citizen. I was speechless and came home tonight to verify what he reported. Unfortunately what he reported is correct.

I suppose why history was never one of my favorite subjects in school, was because of how it is taught. It was taught to me in a matter of fact kind of way with dates, wars, and so forth. But history comes alive when you hear a personal story and in so many ways meeting David brought history alive for me. Though I wanted to refute what I was reading in the exhibit, I found after talking with David for 45 minutes, that this was impossible. David was working the security detail at the exhibit and while we were there, I did hear him talking to other people throughout the day. I could hear people thanking him for sharing his story with them. Nonetheless, David related to my mom and I, and he felt comfortable sharing his history with us.

Toward the end of our encounter, he told me I had a glow! I asked him what that actually meant and he said that meant I am a happy person, happy about my life and so forth. Of which point I laughed and told him this couldn't be the furthest from the truth. I then told him about Mattie and our loss. David then held my hands and in the middle of the exhibit literally gave a blessing to me and Mattie in his native tongue. The premise of the blessing was for Mattie to know he is loved and that I should know that he always walks beside me. It was a very touching and meaningful prayer and it left my mom and I both crying. Needless to say this was a visit to the Huntington Library which I would never have expected, but one I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

The amazing part about David is he could be bitter, hostile, and angry at the world. Certainly given how he has been treated and is still treated today, this would be justified. But he doesn't seem to exude any of these traits, instead, he is calm and uses his experiences to educate others. As he said to us today, we are the change agents. One person at a time. Very meaningful and I believe even though I have no idea what it is like to be Native American, we related to each other. We both experienced loss on some level and a loss to our identity. Certainly in drastically different manners, but once again, I experienced first hand how loss bonds people together.

After our heavy visit to the Museum, this was one of the glorious California Mountain sighting we had while driving home. These crystal clear skies are not necessarily typical for Southern California because of smog. But the past three days have been glorious, so much so that you want to bottle it up so that every day could be just this beautiful.

No comments: