Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 9, 2014

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. This was Mattie's first month in the hospital getting chemotherapy. With each hospital admission, I worked hard on decorating Mattie's room with the various gifts that his care team gave him. As you can see Mattie was surrounded on that admission by stuffed animals. Two of which were Scooby Doo animals sitting on his bed. Mattie loved Scooby Doo, and when a real life Scooby Doo walked into his room that day, he was simply besides himself with joy. 


Quote of the day: It is in moments of illness that we are compelled to recognize that we live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom, whole worlds apart, who has no knowledge of us and by whom it is impossible to make ourselves understood: our body. Marcel Proust

I do think illness is a "creature of a different kingdom." Some illness are understood more than others, but those illnesses that seem chronic and debilitating are less appreciated. Especially when NO physical symptoms are seen. When I had the flu or sinus infection, people could relate to those issues. They are more common. But when I talk about debilitating headaches DAILY for 12 years, that is not only hard to wrap one's head around, but it seems impossible. Perhaps I am exaggerating. All I know is that the flu I had in February, has triggered some incredible headaches. Headaches that make functioning almost impossible. 

Tonight's posting is short because my eyes and head need a break from the computer. Thankfully I head to the doctor tomorrow and hope to find some temporary relief. Without it, I just don't know how I can get anything done, which provides even more stress to my head and daily life. 

No comments: