Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 6, 2016

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2004. In a way it is a follow up photo from the one I posted last night. In both cases, the photo was taken at the Children's Museum in DC. It was a room with a vehicle theme, which was right up Mattie's alley. Right from day one, Mattie was fascinated by cars, trains, buses, trucks, and planes. Mattie could watch these things go by all day long. So actually standing on the back of a fire truck was intriguing to Mattie. 


Quote of the day: Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose. ~ Helen Keller


I woke up this morning and distinctly remembered my dream. It was so real and awful that it would have been hard to forget. I rarely remember my dreams at all! But in this one Mattie was alive and was sitting in my lap so I could talk with him. However, it wasn't an easy conversation we were having. Instead it was the reality that Mattie was dying and I was the one appointed to tell Mattie this news and to explain to him what dying meant. The subject matter of the dream was disturbing, but it was also a very vivid dream in the sense that it seemed like Mattie was in the room with me. I can still picture his big brown eyes staring at me from my dreamy state. When I woke up I was disoriented as to what had just happened and questioned what the dream meant. 


Peter and I were glued once again to the computer, as we are re-designing the Walk website. Which is another big undertaking. At one point in the day we took a break to go out. When Peter was going through his clothes in the closet in preparation for getting dressed, he came across dry cleaned shirts with the plastic over them. Attached to the plastic was this receipt. I took a photo of it because the date on the receipt is April 30, 2008. 

Peter and I both realized that these clothes were dry cleaned three months before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. The dry cleaning receipt made us pause. It actually was disorienting because who ON EARTH would guess that a dry cleaning receipt and the clothes that went with it would survive LONGER than Mattie??? We would never have imagine such a thing was possible, but it reminded us once again how life can change from one minute to the next, and we honestly have no idea or control over the future. 

No comments: