Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 19, 2016

Monday, December 19, 2016

Monday, December 19, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2002. This was Mattie's first Christmas with us and I was determined to get the "perfect" photo for the front of our Christmas card. I tried photos of Mattie by our Christmas tree, photos of him inside on the couch, and then it dawned on me. It had just snowed, so we brought out Mattie's exercise/entertainment saucer, put him in it, and wrapped a plaid blanket around him. Peter must have snapped 100's of photos that day, and this was the final photo we selected for our card. 


Quote of the day: When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things – not the great occasions – give off the greatest glow of happiness. ~ Bob Hope



When I say that today was frigid, that doesn't do it justice. It was bitter out and around 20 degrees. But it felt even colder than that. We walked Sunny multiple times today. For walk #3, I took him around the neighborhood and saw a purple house. This photo may not do it justice, but I laughed because there is always ONE purple house in every neighborhood, isn't there? It stuck out to say the least, and I typically LOVE purple. 

The second house on our walk that caught my attention was this one!!! Why? Because the front yard was converted to an ice rink in the winter. I have heard of personal ice rinks, but never saw one in person!!! I bet this house gets many offers to have a skating party!
Later in the day we drove to Woburn, MA. Around the pond is a wonderful nature trail that people and dogs just seem to love. In the Summer when we were here, I immediately noticed the Angel of Hope statute by the pond. This is a memorial that was started by Richard Evans' book lovers. Evans wrote a book called the Christmas Box and it featured the story of a woman who lost her child and an angel statute was created in her memory. People have loved this book so intensely that they established angel statutes all over the Country. The angel of hope is for parents who lost a children in some way. I have only read about these statutes, so when I saw one in person, I knew it was a sign that Mattie had to be included. Therefore, Peter and I came up with the wording for the paver. 


This is what the angel statue looks like and in front of her are many pavers. The pavers contain names and dates of children who have been taken too soon from this earth! I am so happy we braved the cold and saw Mattie's name! 

The irony is I have always loved the story, The Christmas Box. It is a hauntingly emotional short story that stays with you always. In fact I read it before I had Mattie, and when I saw this angel in the summer I knew exactly what it was and why it was created. Of course I never knew I would understand this loss so personally and significantly, none the less, I can see the purpose and reasoning behind why such monuments must be created!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, Your entire post was special beginning with the lovely picture of Mattie. He sure always has the huggable look in pictures although not every child wants people other than Mom & Dad hugging them. Your quote is so appropriate because it is the simple, small happenings in life that often leave the biggest memories.
I have to find an Angel of Hope and read the CHRISTMAS BOX. I find it hard to believe I have not read it!!! If I had I know I would never forget the message of the story.
I like purple too but what I really like are the houses that defy the conventional colors and stand out. I was wondering how it was walking Sunny in the cold there. I know you have to walk him and that area is frigid cold!!!

Thinking of you!