Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 31, 2018

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. This was Mattie's second Halloween, and I remember picking out this costume together. Mattie did not like anything scratchy or tight. Certainly he did not want anything hanging or pulling on him, which is so typical of costumes. But together he and I found this cute sweat suit at Target. I think Mattie made the cutest pumpkin!



Quote of the day: I never met a pumpkin I did not like. ~ Mattie Brown


When I was out and about today, I ran into a woman who started talking to me. She wished me a happy Halloween and then asked if I was going out trick or treating tonight! She wasn't asking really about me, but was asking about my children and where I took them for Halloween. Given that I don't know this person well (obviously!), I did not really respond to her question. Other than I said.... I don't really like Halloween and fortunately where I live, no one trick or treats in my complex. This isn't a Vicki thing, it is just how it is in our complex. When Mattie was alive, we always drove to Alexandria, so he could trick or treat with friends in their neighborhoods. 

However, after I told her all of this, I then said, that I have a Foundation which collects about 12,000 pounds of Post Halloween candy a year. Then I told her, I deliver this candy all around town for families to enjoy. But to me this whole dialogue speaks volumes. I don't live a typical or normal life. Having a child die from cancer has lasting and reverberating consequences. 

Why do I collect candy? Why start a hospital snack cart back in 2011? The answer to both questions is simple. I decided to take on the creation and funding of a snack cart, because when Peter and I were in the hospital with Mattie, our support community visited daily with snacks, meals, and candy. Food EVERY DAY for OVER ONE YEAR!!! I believe my chocolate addiction occurred during that year of Mattie's cancer journey. I remember how wonderful it was to receive chocolate. It felt like winning the lottery, after all when you are living in a two by four of a hospital room, with no access to the outside world, receiving candy is such a gift. It makes you feel so special, and to me chocolate now symbolizes love. 

I was very aware back then as I still am now, that not every family in the hospital has a support community like mine. Which is why I took the model our support community started and am doing it on a grander scale for families at both MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and Children's Hospital at Sinai in Baltimore. As of tomorrow the candy starts rolling in, and soon we will be spreading candy cheer all over the Washington, DC region. 
















I end tonight's positing with this photo I took in Georgetown today. When I tell you these Halloween decorations are over the top, I am not kidding. There is a fortune teller box in the right hand corner, statues, mummies, tombstones, cobwebs, and the list goes on. I bet this is a sight all lit up at night!!!

No comments: