Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 29, 2020

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2007. That day we took Mattie down to the National Mall because it was kite day. Every one was there to fly a kite. However, while there we couldn't resist checking out all the wonderful cherry blossoms. They are a glorious sight each spring, and the trees are so full of white blooms, it almost looks like snow. Peter and I walked down to the National Mall today. Ironically the trees are out and looked exactly the same as they did in 2007. Of course the big difference for us is the trees outlived Mattie. 


Quote of the day: Today's update on the Coronavirus from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people in the US diagnosed with the virus: 139, 675
  • number of people in the US who died from the virus: 2,436


Sunny was able to take a walk today thanks to anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants. This is a HIGHLY unusual sight in Washington, DC...... Rock Creek Park was closed. It has been closed for over a week now to cut down traffic going to see the cherry blossoms on the Mall. It was delightful being able to walk on the road!
See what Rock Creek Park looked like! Totally unheard of, but it made it very easy for walkers and cyclists to use this route while social distancing!
Our three mile walk today!
It was a glorious weather day today. Blue skies and sun! All the trees are acknowledging it is spring, and it is wonderful to see something UNAFFECTED by the Coronavirus. 
Tulips, daffodils, and trees on the Mall. 
 Daffodils look like happy faces to me. 






















These are the beautiful cherry trees on the National Mall. The same trees featured in the photo of Mattie from 2007. Though you can't see it here, there was a bride posing for photos under these trees today. 
Meanwhile, this was me. While walking today, I started having trouble seeing. I could see bright lights and wavy lines in both eyes. What was going on? I was having a double ocular migraine. An ocular migraine is a rare condition characterized by temporary vision loss or even temporary blindness in one eye. Ocular migraines are caused by reduced blood flow or spasms of blood vessels in the retina or behind the eye. The symptoms can last for 20 to 30 minutes and it can be unsettling. Since I occasionally get these types of migraines, I no longer panic. Instead, I try to sit still and relax, until my vision returns. But I can assure you when I got one of these attacks for the FIRST time years ago, I thought I was losing my vision permanently. 

My companion sitting with me until I felt better!
The beauty of the Red Bud tree against the Washington Monument. 
Close up of the Red Bud tree! These are incredibly beautiful and vibrant trees! They also signal to me that spring is here in our Nation's capital. 

No comments: