Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 1, 2020

Monday, June 1, 2020




Monday, June 1, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2002. Mattie was a month old. Peter was giving him a bottle on our deck. We used to love looking at Mattie's dreamy face when having a bottle. He seemed so relaxed and in a zen place. 





Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 1,804,206
  • number of people who died from the virus: 104,799

I ventured out to the dentist office today because I needed crowns on my teeth. I had root canals in February, but because of COVID, I wasn't able to finish the process by getting crowns. One of my teeth has a fracture and my endodontist told my dentist that my need for a crown was an emergency. Which is how I got an appointment today. It is hard enough managing day to day lock down from COVID, but now our cities are being over ridden by crime due to the protesting of George Floyd's death. In fact, I had Peter drive me to the dentist and pick me up because neither of us felt it was safe to walk alone. What is happening to our city, or cities? Again, tonight law abiding citizens are facing another curfew at 7pm (in DC). Our freedoms are taken away, but those who want to inflict rioting, pain, and chaos are allowed to roam freely and in crowds of hundreds. So much for the COVID threat! I guess it only applies to those of us who actually follow the mandates of our cities. I snapped some photos of what is happening in DC. The photos to me are vial! I get what it is like to lose someone tragically. But violence is never the answer or the solution. It disgraces the memory of those who suffered and died. 

Monuments in Washington have been defaced during a weekend of protests and unrest over the death of George FloydGraffiti on the World War II memorial, one of my favorite memorials on the National Mall. Memorials are meaningful and should be considered sacred. Violating such a memorial tells me that the rioters have no respect at all for those men and women who fought for our freedoms. 




Graffiti on the Lincoln Memorial! I absolutely detest graffiti of all kinds. I don't find it artistic or a form of expression. Which is why I constantly report graffiti in DC so that it can get removed. However, defacing the Lincoln Memorial makes me sad, mad, and disgusted. 
St. John's Episcopal Church is more than 200 years old and sits near the White House. The church is a National Historic Landmark known as the "Church of the Presidents" as every president since James Madison has attended a service at St. John's. The church was not only vandalized but set on fire. 



Along my journey to the dentist today. Windows were either broken or graffiti was on them. 
 This is the beautiful St. Regis Hotel. Filled with graffiti!





















The even boarded up the hotel to prevent the windows from being broken. 
A Starbuck's boarded up.
Graffiti everywhere. 
Right outside my dentist's office. I find all of this very offensive and frankly I think these actions insight anger on all peaceful citizens. If each of us took violent action every time we had been wronged or treated unfairly, we wouldn't have a society. We would have chaos, non-stop violence, and the freedoms we have come to appreciate would disappear.  
I end tonight on a more positive note. When I got back from the dentist, this was my sighting. Indie was on our kitchen counter. Something she knows I do not like. But when she hears a bird, you just can't stop her! She is very bird centric. 

No comments: