Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 14, 2020

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2006. Every August, I took Mattie out to Los Angeles to visit my parents. Mattie was beginning to get comfortable in the water and was learning how to swim. Which we tried to encourage. Ironically though Mattie liked adventure, he approached new activities cautiously. Which actually made parenting him much easier, as he wasn't the kind of kid to jump in a pool, touch a stove, and get into trouble. 






Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • number of people who were diagnosed with the virus: 2,074,526
  • number of people who died from the virus: 115,436

My morning started at 6am. Not on purpose! My mom was knocking on my bedroom door to get up! Why? Because my dad was up and he wanted to take a shower. My dad came home from the hospital on June 3. For two weeks, he has been unable to take a shower. When I arrived in LA, we requested a shower nurse to come over to help my dad. Given that I was unsure how best to safely bathe him, it made sense to wait for the nurse. However, when I spoke to the nurse about a day ago, I am finding that we can't find a time and day that works for both of us. She is available after 3pm, and that won't work for my dad, as his level of exhaustion heightens by that time. 

So whether I was ready or not, at 6am, I had to figure out how to bathe my dad. Part of his cognitive decline is that when he wants something, he wants it done immediately. I literally jumped out of bed and was jolted awake to figure out a safe shower solution. But we got it done! The first time is always harder!

After we got him showered, he was exhausted. So he rested while we took a shower and got dressed. Then I made breakfast and began packing up part of the house. Peter has been going back and forth from one house to the other and thankfully he rented a minivan, as we fill it three or more times a day to transfer items. I could never manage all of this without Peter. We are both working very hard. 

This evening, I started cleaning bathrooms at the house my parents will be moving into next week. Needless to say we are on overload, with caregiving, cleaning, and moving. I wish I could be creative in my writing, and perhaps I will once I can get this move behind us. But for now we take it one day at a time. 



No comments: