Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 1, 2008

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I have to start out by saying that Mattie is such a good sport. He literally spent his exciting "road trip" in a hospital the entire time. We arrived at Sloan Kettering today at 9:45am and did not leave the building until after 5pm. Mattie amazes me, because he does get impatient at times, but for the most part puts up with all of this far better than I do. Where he finds the courage and the strength for this is beyond me, but maybe that is the beauty of being six and not completely aware of the ramifications of things. I will try to recount this day for you, but I will let you know that these consultations left Peter and I feeling very depressed, and though we realized the seriousness of Mattie situation before today, there is something about today that was a real wake up call for us. A wake up call that Mattie has a finite time with us, and the bigger question becomes how do we want to play out his remaining years.

Our 10am appointment was with Dr. Paul Meyers. Dr. Meyers is the Vice Chair, Academic Affairs, Department of Pediatrics. Mattie was quickly examined and then spent the rest of the appointment with my parents while Peter and I spoke to the doctor for over an hour. Dr. Meyers talked in detail about three things: 1) the origin of Mattie's cancer, though unknown, he gave us a plausible theory, 2) alternative treatments to surgery, and 3) discussed an experimental drug called MTP-PE, which can only be administered (at least the first couple of doses) at Sloan or MD Anderson in Texas. Dr. Meyers highly recommends that we consider MTP-PE, but at the moment the drug company (IDM Pharma) will not allow this to be administered to new patients for another 5 weeks because of manufacturing issues with the filters, which help to form the drug. L-MTP-PE stimulates the innate immune system, or the body's first line of defense, to kill tumor cells, and based on data from clinical studies, when used in combination with surgery and chemotherapy, L-MTP-PE reduces the risk of recurrence of osteosarcoma and improves long term survival (of course we are not sure this data applies to children with multifocal osteosarcoma). Dr. Meyers had some major concerns about Mattie's quality of life if we indeed proceed with three protheses (both arms and leg). Dr. Meyers encouraged us to talk with Dr. Healey today about alternatives to surgery. But I could clearly see that Dr. Meyers felt that Mattie's situation was very serious and somewhat grave. In a nutshell the problem is from Dr. Meyers' perspective he couldn't recall a child with multifocal osteosarcoma who did not get recurrent cancer. This was a major blow to Peter and I. Mainly because we could help Mattie through this major crisis, which involves debilitating chemotherapy and life altering surgeries, but to hear that this cancer will happen again (who knows at what time frame), and that with each recurrent cancer, a child's body becomes more resistent to chemotherapy was too much for us to take.
After this appointment, we met up with Mattie and my parents. We took a picture of Mattie in front of the big apple outside the Sloan Kettering child play room (which is a misnomer, since the room is enormous, but Mattie refused to go in, probably because it was sensory overload for him). My mom found this special FAO Schwarz bag for him that you can see in the picture. He loved the bag and was using it to carry his toys around with him in the hospital. We had lunch at the hospital and then arrived on time for Dr. Healey's appointment at 2pm.
Dr. Healey is the Vice Chair, Conferences and Education, Department of Surgery; Chief, Orthopaedic Service. People had warned us about Dr. Healey. He devotes a lot of time to each of his patients, so we were prepared that the 2pm appointment time, wasn't actually going to take place at 2pm. However, what we did not factor into the equation today, was Dr. Healey had to be in NJ by 4pm. So what in essence happened was that our appointment was rushed. I did not feel that Dr. Meyers and Dr. Healey had talked with each other before hand about Mattie's case, and therefore at times Peter and I got conflicting opinions from them.
Before I continue with the story, I took a picture of Mattie and Peter while waiting for Dr. Healey. You have to understand that they put us in a holding room (just the three of us) for two hours, while we were awaiting the doctor. We played every possible game with Mattie, and he was climbing the walls. At 3:50pm, the doctor walks in, and pulls up a chair and starts to talk about these very serious issues in front of Mattie. Peter stopped the conversation after about 10 minutes so that we could have Mattie leave the room and wait with my parents outside. What I want to convey to you is the fact that Dr. Healey seemed visably disturbed about Mattie's case. He sincerely said to us, "I don't know how both of you are doing this." Peter and I read him differently, but I felt as if he came into the room with the resolve that there wasn't much that could be done for Mattie. That his fate isn't a positive one, and instead of doing more radical approaches (three prothestics), he is encouraging us to talk with a radiation oncologist. He feels if Mattie has three protheses, this will limit his ability to lead an active lifestyle in the short time we have with him. In addition he was VERY concerned about infection rates. He said with each major surgery, Mattie has the chance of complications and infection, that could prevent him from getting back on chemo in a timely fashion. Which Peter and I understand is vital considering Mattie's presentation of cancer. So Dr. Healey is recommending radiation in the left arm, and if the tumor grows back again, then we always have the option to do a prothestic at a later date. He is in agreement though that Mattie needs a prosthetic in the right arm and leg. There seemed like so many questions we wanted to ask, but Dr. Healey had to go, so he shook our hands and left for the day. After our appointment, we had a visit in the same room from Dr. Melinda Merchant. Melinda is actually a good friend of Artie (a friend of ours). Melinda was kind enough to stop by, chat with us, and answer many of our questions. She even walked us out of the hospital and later e-mailed saying she would help us in any way possible. Thank you Artie for this wonderful contact!
In the midst of all of this, my dear friend, Karen, met us at the hospital. She waited with my parents, helped entertain Mattie, and stayed the rest of the evening with us. Karen is a true friend and would drop anything in a flash to help us. I have known Karen since 6th grade, and our friendship has withstood the test of time.
After this horrible day, I was disillusioned, and basically wanted to curl up in a ball and not deal with the outside world. But our former neighbors, Goli and John, invited us over for dinner. Mattie's one request about going to NY was seeing Goli and John, and we were looking forward to connecting with them. So Peter, Karen, Mattie, and myself jumped into a taxi and met up with John and Goli. Thank you John and Goli for a fabulous buffet of foods. You really spoiled us and it was wonderful to be able to chat and reconnect. Below you will see some pictures from our lovely evening out.




Karen, Mattie, and Goli













John, Mattie, and Goli

















Vicki, Mattie, and Karen







Goli, Vicki, Mattie, Peter, and John



I sign off tonight with two thoughts. I think I had high expectations for Sloan Kettering. I was hoping they would have some alternatives to present to us. Maybe some sort of magic pill to take this all away. Kind of like when you put someone falsely up upon a pedistal. It isn't realistic of course, and I had this painful reality lesson today. The last thought is we plan on making Mattie's day tomorrow a happy one, since his only experience in NYC so far has been within the walls of Sloan Kettering. We will head back to DC late tomorrow since we have our first MRI scan on friday at Georgetown Hospital.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vicki -

I've just read your last two entries and wanted you to know that we are thinking of you, Peter and especially, Mattie. I only wish that you can find a little fun tomorrow in NYC. I am amazed by your candidness and heartfelt thoughts that you share with us each day. You have touched so many of us with your story. We all have grown from this and learned something about each other and the true meaning of friendship. We have been collecting some little fun gifts for Halloween for Mattie and either my kids, Katie & Tom, and I will stop by in the next week or I'll send the package on with Christine or Ellen. I loved getting to know Christine while working on the Fall Fair together and I was able to reconnect with Ellen. Lots of love to you all - Liza May

Anonymous said...

Hi, Vicki!

I was so sorry to hear about the difficult day that you had. I also had to hear difficult statistics about my daughter Emma (age 7) who had oteo in her femur with mets in both lungs. Anytime that the cancer is in more than one place, it is a difficult situation although I realize that Emma was fortunate in having a tumor only in one limb. Emma also has autism and I remember thinnking that it was so unfair that she would have to fight two major conditions cancer and autism.

I am terrified about relapse, which they tell me is very common in cases that present with metastatic disease. That being said, I do have some positive things to say you might want to think about. Emma's leg and lung surgeries all carried a risk of infection and we knew that major complications were possible, but none ocurred. Emma was in the hospital 2 days for one lung surgery 4 days for the other and 12 days for the leg and she only stayed that long for the leg because she couldn't leave until her range of motion was good enough, not because of infection. We finished the chemo schedule on time. The same may be true for Mattie, who knows? There may be lots of risk of infection, but that doesn't mean that Mattie will experience infections. Also, Emma has a bone graft in her leg and she did not have to lose her growth plates or her knee. It hasn't been easy, but as of now her quality of life with that limb is good-she walks pretty well. I know one family with a child who relapsed twice and is NED (no evidence of disease) today. Who knows what treatments the next few years will bring-maybe something that really makes a difference for our kids. I guess what I am trying to say is that nobody can absolutely predict the future for Mattie. Steven Gould (the scientist) has mesothelioma, a really bad kind of cancer with an average survival rate of 9 months. He died 20 years after diagnosis from somethiing else not mesothelioma. I'm not trying to play down the gravity of Mattie's situation, I'm just trying to say that the unexpected can happen.

I do think that it is important to enjoy life with Mattie now. We do that with Emma as much as we can. I always tell people that the one benefit of cancer is that it makes autism seem not so bad. I used to worry so much about Emma's future and now I spend the same energy trying to enjoy her present. You are right to focus on enjoying Mattie's present as much as you can manage.

Finally, I want to say that for the last 8 months that Emma has been NED, we have really enjoyed ourselves. We're doing Make a Wish Disneyland. We went to family cancer summer camp. We visited Grandma in San Diego. They have been 8 precious months. Even if Emma's condition takes turn for the worse, I'll always cherish these 8 months and any other time we are afforded with her. They were 8 months worth fighting for and even if I don't get forever with Emma, I plan on fighting for all the timee with her I can get.

I don't know if any of this was helpful to you but I hope it has been at least a little encouraging. My thoughts and prayers are with you today.

Lauren

Unknown said...

Thinking about you guys today and hoping there is there lots of fun things for Mattie today! Enjoy the rest of your time in New New and I'll see you guys on Friday! ;) HII MATTIE!!!

Anonymous said...

osteosarcoma support listserv here;
http://listserv.acor.org/archives/osteo-sarcoma.html


anne
ajlprescott@hotmail.com