Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 13, 2009

Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday, March 13, 2009

Quote of the day: "... joy and sorrow are inseparable. . . together they come and when one sits alone with you . . . remember that the other is asleep upon your bed." ~ Kahlil Gibran


Peter and I went to bed after midnight on thursday, and I got up before 6am to get ready for my meeting today. So to say I was tired was an understatement! However, do you want to know how my day started off? It began with me screaming from fright! Mattie hid three toy cockroaches with Peter's help the night before and I stumbled along all of them this morning. One was on my toothbrush, the second one was in the shower, and the third one was on my cereal box. Needless to say, after being freaked out three times, I wasn't very happy!


While I was at my meeting, Peter and Mattie had a busy day together. Peter took Mattie to the lego store at the mall. Mattie had a good time browsing, buying a couple of structures to add to his village, and then apparently they went to McDonald's for lunch. I was thrilled to hear that Mattie was excited to leave the house, and that he ate chicken and drank a whole vanilla shake!


When I got home this evening, Mattie couldn't wait to show me his new addition to his village, a farm. I can officially say that I CAN'T walk into our living room. It is covered in Legos! However, after I finish tonight's blog, Mattie has agreed to help me disassemble the train tracks in our living room. It is my hope that the lego village can then be moved to one portion of the room. I can at least hope, can't I?
After I saw the farm, Mattie than sat with me in our rocking chair, and just cuddled for a while. I think he missed me today, and Peter told me that Mattie spoke about me for part of the day. I think Mattie and I were close before he developed cancer, but now we are super close, after all we go through everything together. It was nice to know that I was missed, but I was thrilled that Mattie and Peter had a good boys day together!
I want to thank the McSlarrow family for a wonderful dinner from Papa Razzi. Papa Razzi is one of our favorite restaurants. Peter and I used to eat at Papa Razzi in Boston all the time, and when we first moved to DC, we were happy there was one in Georgetown. So dinner tonight brought us back to better times. Some how we were all starving, so dinner was an amazing sight. Mattie ate quite well too, he ate a whole bowl of spaghetti with meat sauce! It was funny, while on a break today at the meeting, Alison e-mailed me and asked me how my day was going. I told her I was tired and had a migraine. So when I opened up tonight's dinner she included a soda with the label "migraine." For migraine relief! She made me laugh. Thank you Alison for such a lovely dinner! In addition, while at the meeting, Ann called and left me a voice mail. In the message Ann asked me about Mattie and while she was talking she started saying, "wait today is friday, Mattie isn't with you , you are at a meeting." It was thoroughly a riot to listen to her dialogue, and it was so nice to have these moments of humor today! But even more touching was that these ladies were trying to support me even while at a meeting.

As we head into saturday, I have another full day of meetings. Mattie and Peter are going to have another fun day together and Mattie is getting ready to see his grandparents from Boston tomorrow night. Peter's parents are visiting for a few days, and Mattie is looking forward to seeing and playing with them, and Peter and I are hoping for some sort of periodic breaks.

I end tonight's blog with a message I received from my friend, Charlie. Charlie wrote, "The blog continues to be a contrast of ups and downs, happiness and sorrow. My heart goes out to Cody's family as there is nothing harder to deal with than a death that is "out of cycle" when a child departs before a parent. And yet, I think there was joy in his life that he shared with others. As always, I was glad that Mattie had a good day. He is so creative, it is fun to read about all the things that he makes and how much effort he puts into all of it. I think Mattie and his helpers know some secrets that a lot of children today don't appreciate-the best entertainment is created by your imagination. It's too bad there isn't a museum to put some of these amazing creations in. Many thanks to those who continue to nourish both body and spirit for your family, I believe that kindness is echoed out into the universe."

No comments: