Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 5, 2011

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2008. A month before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. Peter took Mattie to a Nationals baseball game. Mattie was my kind of baseball viewer. He watched the game for a few minutes, but was really more interested in watching the people in the audience and walking around the stadium. With Mattie we got to explore every store in the stadium, along with every vendor stand.


Quote of the day: There should be a statute of limitation on grief. A rulebook that says it is all right to wake up crying, but only for a month. That after 42 days you will no longer turn with your heart racing, certain you have heard her call out your name. That there will be no fine imposed if you feel the need to clean out her desk; take down her artwork from the refrigerator; turn over a school portrait as you pass - if only because it cuts you fresh again to see it. That it's okay to measure the time she has been gone, the way we once measured her birthdays. ~  Jodi Picoult

Today was the first cloudy and cool day we had at the beach. We have lucked out all week with incredibly warm, almost summer like days. Because of the weather, we went to the shopping outlets in Rehoboth Beach. Peter and I had a good time there, and an entertaining one at that. Some of our shopping experiences today were an absolute riot. For example, I had Peter open up a credit card at one of the stores he was shopping at. I was determined that he get a 15% discount. Something so simple, turned out to be difficult, and yet at the same time a riot. The company wouldn't grant Peter a credit card until they verified it was him. They had several Peter Brown's in their computer system, and they wanted to make sure who they were giving a card to. So right in the middle of the store, Peter was on the phone literally answering multiple choice questions. One of which was what his height was!!! The salesperson and I were laughing hysterically. I said if they asked him his weight, that I was going to lose it. It is comic moments like these that are great distractions, and gave us a chuckle for the rest of the day. Needless to say, we got our 15% discount.

Despite the cool weather, we went for a walk along the beach. The ocean was powerful today and waves were crashing onto the shoreline. Nonetheless, we will miss this beach tomorrow evening. There is something very healing to be by the water. For me the sound of the ocean and the amazing songs and sounds from the shorebirds throughout the day are the aspects I will greatly miss.




Walking along side us on the shore was this wonderful Sandpiper. I love watching the birds by the water, and I never venture to the beach without my camera, because I just never know what will capture my attention. While walking the beach tonight, I happened to notice a child's footprints in the sand. The footprints seemed to follow us for our entire walk, and all I could imagine was Mattie right next to us.
There seemed to be something very patriotic about seeing our American flag flying in the wind, right along the shore line. It was the only color really in the scene and it caught my eye.
As we were walking back to Ellen's house, my bunny friends did not disappoint me. I will miss my bunny friends tomorrow evening. Peter and I have developed a routine throughout this week. By a certain point during the day, we made sure we were sitting on the deck, taking in fresh air, the sights of the ocean, and the birds. Then by 5pm, we were always walking on the beach and tracking down bunnies. It has made for a memorable week. As we head back to Washington, DC on Monday afternoon, we will be missing our beach and bunny time tomorrow evening!

No comments: