Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 27, 2011

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007 in front of the Hotel del Coronado in California. Peter took this picture of Mattie and asked Mattie to do something silly. Which may help explain the pose you are seeing.


Quote of the day: Nothing that grieves us can be called little; by the external laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size. ~ Mark Twain

Though I thought there would be NO repaving last night! I was very wrong. They were up and operational throughout the night. Peter got the camera out and took pictures of this nightmare. They have finished with our side of the highway, and now they are on the other side of the road. Despite that, the noise was EQUALLY as loud. The lights, sounds, and vibrations are truly over the top and make it impossible to sleep!
In this picture you can see the amazing number of dump trucks needed for this project. This goes on throughout the night and usually stops around 4am. Though they are making headway, they are still not finished. So we have more in store for us next week! Needless to say, after over a week without much sleep it has impacted my mood. 
We stayed home today because I must admit the media got to me with all the hurricane Irene warnings. Peter understands the weather better than I do, and could tell we were going to get a lot of rain, but not much else. Nonetheless, I did not want to go out today, and I wouldn't let him go out and walk in this weather either. I was very saddened to hear about the 11 year old boy who lost his life in Newport News, VA, when a tree hit his second floor bedroom window and killed him. His mother was in the room with him when this happened, and I can only imagine her level of devastation tonight. A devastation I know all too well.

Tonight as the rain was falling, we could hear Mattie's wind chimes singing in the wind. I haven't heard them in a while, and they naturally remind me of him, since they were one of the last birthday presents he gave me. The chimes remind me of a happier time, a time when Mattie was alive and filled our home with a lot of life. This evening, Peter was on our deck and grilling dinner outside. I title this picture... Peter and Hurricane Irene! As you can see Peter is all wet, and all our flowers have been removed from the walls of our deck. I prefer to be surrounded by our flowers and seeing less wall, so I look forward to putting our garden back together tomorrow when this is all over.

No comments: