Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 25, 2011

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008 on the playground at Mattie's preschool. Mattie's preschool wanted to support us during Mattie's cancer diagnosis, and scheduled a special play date with Mattie's preschool buddy, Alex. In this picture you can see Mattie and Alex on the tire swing. I recall many days on this playground when Mattie was healthy and happy. Some days it is hard to believe that these days actually existed, Mattie was part of our lives, and that we were parents.


Childhood Cancer Facts of the Day: 15% of children are diagnosed with anxiety (DeMaso & Shaw, 2010).


We went to a community play this afternoon entitled, Shooting Star by Steven Dietz. The premise of the story is.........
Snowed in overnight at a middle-America airport, college lovers Elena Carson and Reed McAllister have an unexpected and life-altering reunion. Elena has stayed true to her hippie-ish, counter-culture path, while Reed has gone predictably corporate and conservative. As the night gives way to laughter, banter, remembrance and alcohol, Elena and Reed revisit a past that holds more surprises than they imagined—and a present that neither of them could have predicted. Filled with laughter and ache, SHOOTING STAR is a bittersweet romantic comedy about the middle days of our lives, and how we got there.



This play was 90 minutes long without an intermission. It also had only two actors in the entire play with a bare bones set of a waiting lounge in an airplane terminal. The play had great potential but in the end it was disappointing. Perhaps I have high expectations for people, or maybe I have the confidence that if given the right opportunity and reflection, we as human beings have great potential and will do the right thing. That did not happen in this play, the same dysfunctional communication pattern this couple had with each other in the 1970's (which entailed keeping secrets and a total lack of honesty about thoughts and feelings) remained true today. To me the play was in a way depressing. It was depressing because it really illustrated that people can't or won't change behaviors, even if these changes would produce greater happiness for the individuals in questions. It makes me wonder why we are so afraid to tell those in our lives that they are important to us, that without their presence are lives would not be as rich or meaningful? Certainly if these two characters could have done this in the play, it would have changed their outcome. In that sense the play made you analyze human interactions and why we protect ourselves from being vulnerable with those closest to us.
In typical fashion the LA Cappuccinos did not disappoint us. One of my faithful blog readers and now my friend, Diane, who I just recently met last week wrote the following to me, which I absolutely LOVE. Diane wrote, "I loved hearing about the difference between your "D.C. Deer" and the "Cappuccinos"! Let's see: the "Caps" are thinner... yep, we're always on diets, they are darker: "working on their tans", they have black tails (haven't a clue) and they have longer ears: we're nosier!! See! it can all be explained!!!"


I love how Diane provided me with this cute explanation for why the LA Cappuccinos (a name I gave to these LA deer) are thinner, darker, and have bigger ears than my Roosevelt Island deer. Her description made me laugh, because while we are talking about deer, we could also be talking about several Hollywood types. Hollywood has even impacted the deer!
 
 
 
On my nightstand today I found a snail shell. That may not seem odd to you, but the snail shell is a direct reminder of Mattie. Peter went for a walk this morning and came back with a snail shell in hand. He did not tell me about it, he just simply left it on my nightstand to find. When Mattie came to visit my parents, he loved finding snail shells. In fact, he even named a snail living in my parent's garden, snaily! So as soon as I saw the snail shell on my nightstand, I knew this was a message. The message in essence was that Mattie was with me and thinking of me. It is ironic how simple components of nature to you, may speak and represent volumes to me. It is within nature that Peter and I both feel most connected to Mattie. Needless to say, snaily's shell is coing home with me to Washington, DC.

No comments: