Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 26, 2012

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday, August, 26, 2012


Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2002, at Mattie's baptism. I remember this day as if it were yesterday. Father James Greenfield baptized Mattie. I met Father Jim at the George Washington University, when I was a graduate student. In fact, in my first semester at the University, I needed to find a client  to work with, in order to counsel him/her and then write a case report. It was Jim who gave me my first clinical client and also supervised my work. Jim is an incredible priest, he gave Peter and I pre-cana before we married, he baptized Mattie at a private ceremony, and also presided over Mattie's funeral.


Quote of the day: You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. ~ C.S. Lewis



Peter and I are not sure whether we are coming or going today. We are both exhausted, yet woke up early because we are still on England time. We accomplished a great deal of chores today. Patches is thrilled to be home and is sticking close to her buddy Peter! Peter and I worked in our garden for a while and I am happy to report that our plants did very well for two weeks because our friend Maria gave our garden tender loving care. I find it very upsetting to come home to dead plants, and this has happened many times in the past. This is the first time we asked Maria to watch over our garden and I can say that our plants appreciated her care, and they are thriving!


The glorious sunflowers you see in this picture were at Claude Monet's garden in Giverny. Hopefully this week, I will be able to post more pictures, but imagine sunflowers everywhere. It was a garden that only someone with great love of color, light, and nature could have planted.





We were sifting through two weeks worth of mail, and in one envelope I received this beautiful painted purple flag. This is NOT just any flag, this was Mattie's flag! He painted it when he was in Kathy's preschool class, and it has his name and preschool symbol (Mattie Magnet) on the back of the flag. Kathy is preparing her classroom for school, and in the process came across this flag and sent it to me with a beautiful note. It was a very thoughtful and kind gesture on Kathy's part, and I consider this a very special gift. The gift is priceless because it is a reminder of Mattie, of Mattie's existence, and also of a memory Kathy had with Mattie. So many families we know are getting ready for the school year to begin and yet we of course are not. Not by choice but because of cancer. For so many, September symbolizes the beginning of a new school year, while for me, September symbolizes the month Mattie died. I shall never forget Mattie's preschool teachers. They are extraordinary ladies, teachers, and people, and Kathy's gift is just one of many examples why Mattie's teachers are also my friends.

 

No comments: