Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 28, 2014

Friday, February 28, 2014

Friday, February 28, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2008. Only five months before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. That weekend, as we did on many weekends, went to visit Roosevelt Island. While crossing the bridge over to the Island, Mattie stopped to feed the ducks. It was a favorite past time for both of us. Mattie usually had crackers or bread in hand for just such moments! 

Quote of the day: Every winner has scars. ~ Robert Nix

I spent the first part of the day working on Foundation items and then jumped into the car with the motivation to buy my friend Mary a bird feeder. Mary is my 85 year old friend who was just moved into her daughter's home. Mary has a beautiful window to look out of and it really serves as an ideal setting and location to feed the birds. 

When Mattie was a toddler, we began to feed the birds in the winter time. It was wonderful for us. We spent a lot of time at home, and yet could look out the window, observe nature, the behavior of birds, classify birds, and truly become engaged with nature. Which is hard to do in the cold, grey winter months. The birds have been a refuge for me for years. After Mattie died, I truly needed the birds! The way I look at it..... we have been feeding the same sparrow population for years. We have troops of birds that visit us daily, and come back year to year. So much so, that I have to restock both of my feeders DAILY! That is how much seed they go through. I love watching them while I work by my desk! I can hear them fluttering about, squawking at each other, and chirping. It is my hope that I can bring some of this natural entertainment into Mary's world.

Unlike on my deck, I had some logistical issues to manage with regard to the placement of feeders by Mary's window. I couldn't use a bracket or hook, so I had to come up with another strategy. I spent some time at Home Depot, and even got a salesperson involved. But after several consults, they all agreed that my solution was best. So I bought a metal flower basket stand and got two bird feeders to hang off of it. It is my hope that Mary can see this and that the birds decide to visit! It may take them a while to figure out this location, but my wish is Mary can see the excitement I live with daily. Watching nature has a way of being therapeutic and also engages the mind and spirit.

This afternoon I had the opportunity to spend a few hours with Mary. Mary sleeps most of the time, but on occasion wakes up. When she wakes up she does look to see who is sitting with her. Mary is used to my presence, in the years past, it wasn't atypical for her to wake up and find me in her room. I am quite sure despite being unable to talk that Mary is very aware of her surroundings and who is with her. While feeding her ice cream, which to me is the food of champions, I was sitting on her bed and leaning over her. Though she is weak and not moving much, her finger managed to find my hand. She used her finger in such a way as to hold my hand and then decided to play with my charm bracelet. Mary and I both wear charm bracelets. 

When I first met Mary five years ago, she told me about her charm bracelet. Back then she wasn't wearing the bracelet, but NOW she does. Her charms are special to her. She has one charm for her daughter and one for her son. After she described the bracelet and I saw her interest in it, I asked her where she kept it. She wasn't sure, but she gave me a general idea. After doing some searching, I found it in her assisted living room, and literally placed the bracelet on her wrist. She has been wearing it ever since I put it on her! 

Like Mary's bracelet, my charm bracelet is special to me because it is a memory bracelet in honor of Mattie. We have talked about our bracelets before, so I was not at all surprised that Mary began playing with my charms today. Yet another thing we shared in common. 

No comments: