Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 6, 2015

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 -- Mattie died 278 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. This was not an atypical photo for Mattie and me. Mattie loved to put his cheek up against mine! I remember Mattie's cheeks were so soft, it was almost like touching silk at times! As you can see, people would say we looked exactly alike, but besides looking alike we had very similar personalities. We were both emotional people, high strung, and sensitive to our surroundings and others. Two peas in a pod. Yet Mattie had Peter's curiosity, his need for movement, exploration, and inquisitiveness. So he was quite the blend of the two of us!

Quote of the day: Connecting with those you know love, like and appreciate you restores the spirit and give you energy to keep moving forward in this life. Deborah Day



Today was our first snow fall in DC. This did not thrilled me at all! As Peter walked to work, he sent me several photos. However, I wanted to get out and about today, so I too went for a walk. 
When I was of driving age, I was living in Southern California. As a high school student, I learned to drive in Los Angeles. Therefore, I can safely say I have NO idea how to drive in the snow. But in DC, I am in good company, because I would say.... neither does anyone else around me!!! Which is why being on the roads isn't the safest place to be. I was thrilled to remain on foot today. This is what the quad area of the George Washington University looked like with a dusting of snow. 
Believe it or not, this was what Pennsylvania Avenue looked it. Totally not plowed. The roads and sidewalks were a mess this morning!

















Outside my window was this beautiful sight!
















My friend Mary Ann went for a walk today and sent me this lovely photo! Mary Ann knows I love this wild grass by her home. I have passed this grassy bush with her on a walk we did together this summer. Why do I love this grass? Because this grass is next to a bunch of rose bushes and a lake. The roses remind me of my friend Margaret who died in June. In fact, right after Margaret died, Mary Ann sent me a photo of the roses by this grassy bush. Mary Ann did this because she knew that Margaret was an avid rose collect and cultivator. I have seen this grassy bush throughout the seasons and it is very special when a friend sends me a photo during the day. It just lets me know that I am part of her journey and was thought of today. So to me this grassy photo has multiple significance!

No comments: