Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 22, 2015

Friday, August 21, 2015

Friday, August 21, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2006. We took Mattie to Griffith Park in Los Angeles. This park is a gem for children of all ages. It is filled with playgrounds, pony rides, an amazing old world carousel, and all sorts of train rides. Mattie loved going on the trains! This was something I never experienced when I lived in Los Angeles as a teenager. In fact, I never visited Griffith Park in general. But when Mattie came into our lives, he introduced us to all sorts of adventures. 


Quote of the day: Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture the heart. ~ Ancient Indian Proverb



On social media the other day, Mattie Miracle was advertised as being a sponsor for Curefest held on September 19 and 20 in Washington, DC. Curefest is the largest advocacy and awareness event that the childhood cancer community organizes each year. Organizations and individuals unite together on the National Mall to walk three miles and call attention to childhood cancer. This event draws thousands of people from all over the Country and enhances the public's awareness of this disease. Here was the ad that went out on social media about Mattie Miracle:


We are just one month away from the CureFest walk and festival! Dozens of amazing organizations, including MattieMiracle CancerFoundation will come together on the National Mall!

"The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation is a 501(c)(3) Public Charity founded by Peter Brown and Victoria Sardi-Brown, in loving memory of their seven-year-old son Mattie, who died in 2009 from Osteosarcoma, a form of bone... cancer. Mattie Miracle is dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families, and medical personnel. Mattie Miracle had the vision and is funding a National psychosocial standard of care project for childhood cancer, so that children and families around the Country will be ensured a minimum level of psychosocial care from the time of diagnosis throughout treatment, and into survivorship or end of life and bereavement care.

"Mattie Miracle attended Curefest in 2014, and found it to be a true psychosocial experience! Children, parents, and caregivers who are passionate about childhood cancer have the opportunity to gather on the Mall to unite, share stories and information with one another, and collectively advocate to make our voices heard. Given our Foundation's psychosocial mission, we are proud to be able to sponsor an event which enables the childhood cancer community to network and advocate with one voice."



This morning through Facebook my cousin Maria sent me this photo. I met Maria when we were both children. Maria grew up in Switzerland and Italy and her native language is Italian. When we met each other as children, Maria did not speak English and I did not speak Italian. Yet the beauty of children, is we found a way to understand each other. After Mattie died, Maria and I got reconnected again and with the power of Facebook, Maria has now connected me with my cousins in Italy. Rather remarkable what technology can do. This photo was taken around my seventh birthday. I was celebrating it with my paternal grandparents, my dad, and cousin Battista, who was visiting from Italy. It is a rather sobering reality to know that I was the same age in this photo that Mattie died at, age 7.

Maria also sent me this photo! It is a picture of my great grandparents home in Cassano. When I was a child I visited Cassano several times. This was the town my paternal grandmother was born and raised in and it is remarkable now to be able to see these photos that Maria is sending me through an adult eye and lens. As I told Maria she is sharing photogenic gifts with me. 











This morning my mom and I went on a walk in my parent's neighborhood. I have to take some photos of the terrain now, which is greatly browned due to the severe drought! California doesn't look so GREEN. It is almost hard to recognize, and I would like to share this perspective with you. But on our walk we passed this wonderful pomegranate trees. It was very tempting to want to pluck several fruit right off the vine!










Near the pomegranate tree was a bank of oleanders. I honestly do not know how any thing is growing with such a lack of water. There are watering restrictions enforced here and if you are caught violating them you could be fined $500. You are allowed to use sprinklers only on tuesday and saturday for 15 minutes only. You can also hand water after 6pm every day if you wish. But I have noticed FEW people do this. I am not sure if it is time factor, laziness factor, or what. However, what is abundantly evident is the lack of water is effecting everything.... grass, flowers, trees, bushes, you name it. 

No comments: