Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 11, 2016

Monday, July 11, 2016

Monday, July 11, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2005. This was Mattie's third summer trip to the beach. By this point he was very acclimated to the sound of the surf and the feeling of the sand on his feet. I love this photo that Peter took of both of us. The ironic part is I haven't seen it in YEARS! I only found it two days ago when searching through our Shutterfly on-line photograph account. I am so happy I found it!


Quote of the day: The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. ~ Elisabeth Foley


Tomorrow I am going to visit a Rheumatologist. This is a doctor who is qualified by additional training and experience in the diagnosis and treatment of arthritis and other diseases of the joints, muscles, and bones. It would never have crossed my mind to see such a doctor, but I am complying with the suggestion from my physical therapist. Believe it or not, I have been going to physical therapy since the beginning of March, two days a week (so going on five months now). I was prescribed physical therapy by my neurologist who was desperate to try to help me in February, when my body was dealing with a massive amount of symptoms that prevented me from functioning. I will never forget February, nor did I think I would ever return to feeling stable. 

The rheumatologist's intake is incredibly detailed and lengthy. It literally took me 30 minutes to complete it. Since Mattie's death, I have been consistently ill and debilitated from one thing or another. Medical doctors do not like to see the connections between dealing with trauma and grief and medical illness, but myself and so many other moms whose children had cancer are walking examples! Needless to say, I have completed MANY intake forms over the past six years, but this is the FIRST one that actually asked about number of children and whether they were ALIVE! Most intakes just ask the number of children you have, and frankly this is a very awkward question for me to answer. Mainly because I always want to say..... I have one child...... yet this one child died from cancer. 


This is what the intake form actually looks like and I have to say I felt as if there is finally an intake that applied to my family's situation! How novel. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,
I will be thinking of you tomorrow, hoping that this Dr. will be a good listener and help to find ways to make you feel better. I am impressed with your physical therapist for making this recommendation. I am heartened with the sensitivity in the form, you completed for the Rheumatologist. I hope you will share with me how the exam and comnsultation go.

I love the picture of Mattie & you, that was posted tonight. Truly glad you found the picture. You both look adorable. I love your hat.

It saddens me to think of all the physical pain and issues, you have dealt with for years without answers. It also is amazing that
more Drs. don't take into account how serious trauma's in our life impact every part of us.

Margy