Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 14, 2016

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2006. That weekend we took Mattie to the National Zoo. Within the zoo they have a petting zoo for children. So we walked Mattie into the barn to meet the horses. You may not able to tell from this photo, but I certainly can. Mattie wasn't happy with me! This was the type of face Mattie gave me when he was disinterested with my photo needs and requests. So he would get this kind of glazed look! Nonetheless, Mattie always enjoyed going to see any type of animal and when comfortable would want to pet and observe it. 


Quote of the day: Obstacles can not crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind. ~ Leonardo da Vinci


I find it particularly interesting how people feel the need to lecture you about your own health decisions. Today I went to physical therapy again, as I go twice a week and try to alternate therapists. I find that each therapist has something different to offer me and yet I know they work together to coordinate care. Well today's therapist sat down with me and gave me her opinion about fibromyalgia. Mind you it was her therapy practice that wanted me to get evaluated for it! It wasn't something that just popped into my head. 

She wanted to tell me that she too lives with chronic pain from a different issue but finds medication very helpful. So she wanted to encourage me to be open to meds, despite my insistence that I wasn't going to take them if offered to me. Now do keep in mind she and I have different physical issues, so we aren't even talking about the same medications! But even if we were, medications react differently with each individual patient and it really is a personal decision.

I was patient and kind to listen to her preamble and then gave it to her. I like directing my own health and making my own decisions. Only I know what side effects previous medications have produced for me and I also know I have spent more time recovering from medication side effects. Medications that did not relieve the original issue either but instead left me managing the original symptoms plus the side effects from the medication.

She then got agitated with me and told me that she doesn't like diagnoses that are weak in scientific data! Meaning illnesses like Fibromyaglia don't come with specific tests to make an official diagnosis. Instead, it is a rule out disease. I then stopped her and I said I too am a scientist and believe in the power of quantifying symptoms and having data to back up a diagnosis. Yet I said to her as therapists we also understand the art of being human and as such we have to be open to the fact that science CAN'T and DOESN'T explain everything that goes wrong with the human body. I told her that she and I are clear examples. Therefore, it is important to explore all options and alternatives before jumping to medications. She couldn't argue with me, but honestly why did I have to even have this discussion. 

Taking a step back and trying to see her point of view, I know she was trying to be of help and to offer hope. But this is where doing therapy is a fine art form. You have to know when is a good time to approach such subject matters with patients and when patients aren't open to hearing it. Today wasn't one of those days, especially after I feel like I am still absorbing what I learned from the rheumatologist. 

No comments: