Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 30, 2017

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2008. Mattie was in his fourth month of treatment and as you can see his art therapist printed out a LARGE picture of a roach. Delightful no? Mattie loved to watch my reaction whenever he brought up the subject of roaches. Because of my disgust with these creatures, this intrigued Mattie and caused him to want to know more. Learning more meant painting a picture of a roach, creating roaches out of model magic and the list went on. Don't you just love that devilish smile Mattie had here as he was teasing me with this roach?


Quote of the day: To ease another’s heartache is to forget one’s own. ~ Abraham Lincoln


I am losing track of the number of days I have had a migraine this week. All I know is it is one day too long. Despite feeling awful, I keep plugging away. Mainly because with my headaches, if I give in, I would have a lot of down days.

This fire orange colored plant was near where I parked my car today. I literally had to stop and snap a photo of it, because to me it screamed out Mattie Miracle. I saw this plant right outside MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. I took that as a sign. 

I went to the Hospital to push our snack and item cart around the pediatric in-patient units. I try to do this at least once a month. I do this for various reasons, but the top reason is to better understand how the cart is meeting its intended purpose. Which is to provide access to free treats and snacks to families caring for a child in the hospital, so that parents do not have to leave their child's bedside to meet their own needs. 

Today was a very busy day for the snack cart. In several cases, children themselves were allowed to pick items from the cart, and you could see their smiles and excitement. Several families I interacted with only spoke Spanish, but some things are communicated universally. I had many parents thank me and told me how grateful they are for the cart. I even had nurses, who I don't know, telling me what a difference the cart is making. I love unsolicited feedback and one nurse told me she wished her patients were as happy to see her as they are the cart. Cute! That made me laugh. So despite a bad headache, I sucked it up, because I know what life is like living in a hospital setting, and in comparison my migraine is nothing. 

No comments: