Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 15, 2017

Friday, December 15, 2017

Friday, December 15, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2006. Mattie was four years old and by this point loved the whole notion of Christmas. The decorating, the gift giving, and special time with family. I think Mattie's facial expression here was priceless. Basically he was complying with my need for a photo, but wasn't pleased with having to pose or stand still! Yet he did it and I am happy I captured that fleeting moment. 



Quote of the day: Every person needs to take one day away.  A day in which one consciously separates the past from the future.  Jobs, family, employers, and friends can exist one day without any one of us, and if our egos permit us to confess, they could exist eternally in our absence.  Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for.  Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.Maya Angelou


I think Maya Angelou captures my feelings right about now. I am very happy Peter and I are getting away tomorrow. It has been a grueling Fall. The Fall used to be a slower time for the Foundation, but not anymore. Right after Christmas, I ramp right back up to start planning the Walk. So it feels almost like a vicious cycle, of constant work, with no end in sight. This constant stress is not good for me physically or emotionally, and then adding on intense caregiving for a month, and all I can say is it has been a bad combination. 

The highlight of my day was this morning. I was running around doing chores and all I could hear were jingle bells. So I started trying to locate the sound. When I did, I found Peter in this noxious sweater. He bought it himself, so it was a total surprise to me. He wore it to ugly sweater day at work. I thought this sweater was so bad, that I snapped a photo and posted it to Facebook. Peter got over 100 likes and comments and clearly this sweater was a conversation piece. Sunny was NOT pleased with the jingling and wanted to know why Peter was making such a  sound.  

Sunny and Indie are now being boarded and our home is a totally different without them. I had no one to walk today, and no one was following me around constantly. It was an adjustment for sure but what Sunny doesn't know is I can watch him on Dogtopia's video camera, which is posted to the internet. I just love this feature, not to mention their text messages alerting me to how he is doing. Until tomorrow, when I will be writing hopefully from Southern Florida. 

No comments: