Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 14, 2017

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2004. Mattie was two years old and by that time, he understood the notion of posing for a photo! That was the first year we could take a photo of Mattie by our Christmas tree. We snapped many photos that day of Mattie in his Christmas sweater. Literally Mattie had a new sweater to feature on the front of our cards each Christmas. Though this cute photo wasn't the one that landed on our cards that year, it still was a charmer and captured Mattie's beautiful smile and sense of humor. 





Quote of the day: Every birthday celebrates a life because every life is important. ~ Richelle E. Goodrich



In 2005, I met my friend Catherine. Her daughter and Mattie were in the same preschool classroom. In fact, I have many long term friends from that very classroom. Who helped support us through Mattie's cancer and now actively help us with the Foundation.

Today I hosted a small luncheon for Catherine's birthday. Included were friends from Mattie's preschool. So it was an all preschool lunch. To make the lunch festive, I made this flower arrangement for the table. 
This was the group of us! Seated from left to right are: Dawnee, Catherine, Ann, and Jane. Standing from left to right are Vicki and Maria. 

Though this was a small gathering, to me attention to details is important. I wanted to get to the table before everyone arrived to set up flowers, place cards, and to arrange for things with the waiter. However, the restaurant's policy is they can't sit parties unless the majority of guests are present. Literally I lost it. It's a ridiculous policy especially for a person like myself who frequents this restaurant. Needless to say, I got my point across and got to the table before others arrived.

We all had a lovely lunch and the waiter brought out three different desserts for us to share. This of course was one of them!
A white chocolate bread pudding! It was delicious!
After lunch, I came home and Sunny was begging for another walk. So we went down by the Potomac River. It was freezing and windy, but with Sunny you walk in rain or shine. But check out the big bird wading by the vegetation. I have never seen a Great Blue Heron hanging out in this location. Sunny was the one who spotted the bird and I think he was ready to take on the bird!
The Great Blue up close!

No comments: