Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 28, 2018

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2002. Mattie was seven months old. Peter snapped this photo of us in front on our balcony with our oak tree in the background. This is one of my favorite photos. This oak tree didn't only provide beauty but it provided leaves that would feed caterpillars in the spring! As Mattie loved collecting caterpillars, feeding them, and watching them transform into moths. However, as Mattie and I learned, his tent moth caterpillars only ate OAK LEAVES!!!


Quote of the day: Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely. Rodin


So as a recap, Sunny lost a nail on Monday, the whole nail on his left back paw. We went to the animal hospital on Monday evening and the bandaging began. Since Monday, I have had to take Sunny to the vet every two days for a solution bath of his leg and a dressing change of his bandage. This has been quite a laborious process. I have been to the vet so far..... Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday this week. The visits continue next week as well! My joke is I am happy we got pet insurance for Sunny, because so far, it has been a lifesaver in just 2017 alone. Sunny is still on antibiotics and his stomach doesn't seem happy at all. In fact, he woke me up at 7am today making a horrible sound with his mouth. Apparently the vet was concerned by my report and she did a sonogram of his abdomen. She reported that there are no tumors. Frankly my mind wasn't going there, but too bad her's did!


This afternoon, I met up with two friends and had high tea at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in downtown, DC. I am on the quest to find the best high tea in our area, and I am STILL looking.

This was the lobby of the hotel. Which is quite beautiful and the service at the hotel is beyond helpful. 
Here is a photo of the Empress Lounge, where tea is held. It is nice in theory, but is right off the lobby. Though part of the lobby, it isn't noisy or drafty. 
A view from my seat. I am sure it is beautiful in the spring, because the lounge has a lovely patio, surrounded by a garden. I hear the garden is lined with cherry trees, which must be quite a sight in the spring. 
















Today's menu! They bring out a fixed tray of sandwiches, scones, and desserts. The only thing you pick is your tea. I had a Lychee Red tea which was lovely. 


















Notice the cup and saucer. I am a china affectionato, so a plain white cup and saucer did not do it for me. They serve you a side of clotted cream, lemon curd, and raspberry jam for the scones. 
The tray that comes out! Basically there are enough items for two people on this tiered tray. You can sample one of each item. 
One of my friends ordered Green Flowering Tea. Literally the tea is brought to you with a tight flower bud. As it sits in the hot water, it opens up!!! I would say that was totally different!!!

No comments: