Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 13, 2018

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 -- Mattie died 439 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. To be perfectly honest, I do not remember where this photo was taken, other than in Los Angeles. I want to say it was at a street fair we visited, but I am not sure. In any case, I love it, because it features two smiling sunflowers.


Quote of the day: You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.Marcus Aurelius


My mom has been a long standing member of a local women's group. Besides being a member she has also been a president of this group. I was happy I could attend the group's monthly luncheon and I got the opportunity to hear my mom speak. But more importantly to hear and see people's reactions to her message. 

My mom was a high school mathematics teacher in NYC for many years. She is a born teacher, as I personally benefited from her skills. Unlike her, I am not gifted with numbers. I would come home from school, perplexed and unable to do my math homework. However, my mom explained complex concepts in very manageable and understandable ways to me. But she is not limited to just explaining math, she can present on a whole host of topics. 

When my mom spoke today, the audience was DEEPLY LISTENING. She captured their minds and hearts! In fact, my mom ended her talk with a Butterfly World quote...... Love is like a butterfly: It goes where it pleases and it pleases wherever it goes! Given that Valentine's Day is tomorrow, everyone just loved this quote and the way my mom ended on such a positive note. 


I loved the presentment of the luncheon's dessert! I can't recall when I have received a lovelier Valentine's Day treat!
Sometimes beautifully presented desserts do not taste good. But I happy to say that everything on this plate was delicious!
I came back to my parent's house and was greeted by these beautiful flowers! I always tell Peter not to send flowers or give gifts on Valentine's Day! As I really feel this is such a commercialized holiday! But I suspect since I won't be in DC, he wanted me to know he missed me! There is nothing like fresh flowers, they just make you happy seeing them. 













Meanwhile, I looked up at the sky this afternoon and this is what I saw! A sky writer working on..... I LOVE YOU! I would like to think this is a Mattie message! Of course I know it is not, but that doesn't stop me from taking it as a sign. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, as you well know from our many texts & conversations, I am a sign person. I feel if we are open to seeing a greater meaning to things that occur in our life, we will see that deeper meaning. That is not to say, everything is a sign for me. Rather I find important meaning in somethings Insee or happen that have significant meaning in my life.

I think Peter's flowers are wonder. Even more wonderful, that it is not a regulat Valentine's tradition but also says, I miss you!

It must have been wonderful to hear your Mom speak and be in her world at this luncheon. I am sure you were proud!