Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 8, 2018

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. This to me was classic Mattie. I did not take this photo, Mattie's nurse Katie did. Peter, Katie and Mattie were in the child life playroom together and Mattie was trying yoga using a Nintendo Wii game board. Mattie stood on this step like board and it read Mattie's movements and Mattie got feedback on what he was doing through a TV screen. Mattie thought the whole thing was fascinating. Everyone around Mattie got a chance on the board, but guess what? The joke was that Mattie was the best on the Wii despite all his surgeries. He had better balance apparently! I just love this photo because it captured Mattie's spirit to life and have fun. 

Quote of the day: It doesn’t take an instant more, or cost a penny more, to be empathetic than it does to be indifferent. Brian Lee


In January, I went with my friend (who has ovarian cancer) to see my gynoncologist. Before I left her office, I mentioned some of the unusual physical issues I was facing. I was looking for her to normalize what I reported, but instead she decided not to take the wait and see approach. So today I went for another transvaginal sonogram. I will never forget the first one I took in 2012 at Washington Hospital Center. It was a reportable nightmare, where I had a very aggressive ultrasound tech, who not only physically hurt me but caused my anxiety about the procedure to increase ten fold. However, since that awful experience, I have had at least four other transvaginal sonograms. If performed by a competent and sensitive tech or radiologist, the procedure is very doable and quick. Notice what I am reporting about is NOT the medicine. It is the quality of care and how care was administered. 

When patients are coming for scans and procedures, they aren't coming to a medical facility in a happy place. Usually patients are scared, edgy, and uncertain about why they feel ill. How a medical provider manages patient stress, fears, and concerns, can really make it or break it for the patient. I have experienced the difference between working with an insensitive and clueless medical provider, versus one who truly is patient centered and takes into account how a scan or procedure may impact us. Naturally regardless of the kind of professional you work with, when you are scared, you are scared. A medical tech's personality and kindness won't change that, but it can influence how you feel about the procedure and your outlook about receiving medical care. 


The reason why my doctor takes my symptoms very seriously is because on February 1, 2012, I got a suspicious cat scan result. A CT scan which was ordered to rule out a bladder issue. The test revealed that my bladder was fine, but that I had numerous masses in my pelvis. A radiologist deemed the masses indicative of adenoma malignum. A very aggressive cancer. Again, my world stopped and I lived with this nightmare for two years. The masses are located in a position that they couldn't be biopsied. I was literally scanned every month for two years. Each month, was like living hell not knowing whether the mass grew or not or what the next steps would be. Over time, I learned that I have several masses and they are not cancerous. This is the short version of this nightmare. 

However, I was calm for today's test. Because I really did not believe something  was wrong with me. But I naturally learned that we can't always tell what is going on inside our bodies, as Mattie's cancer reminds me of that sobering reality. So naturally I had pause today because I know that a scan result can turn your life upside down within minutes. Fortunately I worked with a lovely tech and a competent radiologist. The beauty of Washington Radiology Associates, is that your test is conducted by a radiologist who gives you real time results as she is seeing them. I am very grateful for good results today and I have to say, after the test was over, I felt like I had another lease on life. So regardless of chores I had to do, I was happy that I could do them and not worry about more testing and next steps. When you get a clean bill of health, it is the best gift life can give you. 

No comments: