Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 3, 2018

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 -- Mattie died 446 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken on Easter of 2007. Mattie was five years old. We took him to the US Arboretum to see the azaleas. My joke with Mattie was that these glorious flowers came out in honor of his birthday. Mattie loved that notion. 




Quote of the day: I think we need to do some deep soul searching about what's important in our lives and renew our spirit and our spiritual thinking, whether it's through faith-based religion or just through loving nature or helping your fellow man. ~ Louie Schwartzberg



Going out to dinner is one of my favorite things to do when away, because I like trying new restaurants. Naples has your standard chains like Cheesecake Factory, Season's 52, and California Pizza Kitchen. But I like to experience more locally run restaurants on trips. 

The West coast of Florida, I have found is much more limited in dining selections than the East coast of Florida. Nonetheless, there are many to choose from in Naples unlike other towns on the West coast. Last night we had a hellish dining experience. We went to a restaurant called FISH. This is a photo of the view from FISH. Looks lovely doesn't it? That is where the lovely ended. We made a 6:30pm reservation. We got there and we could see the restaurant wasn't busy. However, we were told that we had to wait 15 minutes to be seated. So we did. After 20 minutes Peter went up to see what the hold up was because literally the restaurant had SEVERAL open tables. Needless to say, we waited 30 minutes until we were shown to our table. I wish that was the only issue. After waiting 10 minutes, I then got up from the table to find the manager because no one stopped by our table to take even a drink order. I suspect the hostess sat us at a table that did not have an assigned server. 

When I went to track down the hostess, I told her I wanted to talk to the manager. I instead got the owner who had to be the rudest person I have ever had the displeasure of meeting in the service industry. Before I opened my mouth, he verbally attacked me. He basically said I did not understand his plight. He had three people who did not report to work and was overwhelmed. 

There is a nice way to say this, but it did not come out nicely. Instead, he kept telling me I wasn't listening to him. Of course he wasn't listening to me at all. In fact, he could care less what my issue was.... he never asked what he could do for us, never offered to comp an appetizer or to even find us a wait staff person to serve us right away. He followed me back to my table, and began to also argue with Peter. Once he walked away, Peter and I got up and left the restaurant without eating. We weren't going to spend a penny there after being treated so poorly. Ironically, later in the evening I was going to write a review of the restaurant on Open Table (where I made our reservation). However, the restaurant canceled our reservation preventing us from writing a review. I did not go to bed last night until writing a scathing review on Trip Advisor, Yelp, and also contacting Open Table directly. The owner of this restaurant should consider another job because he clearly hates what he does and it shows!!! 

After we walked out of the restaurant, we had to then find a place to have dinner. Given that it is spring break for many schools, Naples is busy. Nonetheless, we decided to eat away from the water, and went to Ocean Prime on 5th avenue (which is the main street in downtown Naples). It was the BEST restaurant we have gone to so far on our trip! Our server was delightful and VERY professional. After the experience we had at FISH, we really needed Ocean Prime. 

The fun continued this morning. We were told that our hotel rents out kayaks. However, there appears to be great confusion about how to actually rent out a kayak. The pool staff doesn't even know what a kayak is and the front desk gave us conflicting information. Finally, the concierge told us that we actually had to go to the beach to rent a kayak. That may sound like NO problem. But getting to the beach at this hotel requires a .5 mile walk, on a board walk. I am giving you an aerial view so you get the idea of the walk through a mangrove on a board walk to the beach. Most people take a tram on the boardwalk and refuse to make the .5 mile walk on foot. Peter and I love to walk, so naturally we walked. But we do feel this hotel is a misnomer and shouldn't be called a resort as this beach is a public beach and very crowded. Also Hurricane Irma did a number to this beach and when you get out to it, it doesn't have as much of a sandy beach as indicated in this hotel photo!

Once we walked .5 miles and got to the beach, there was a LONG line to get into the beach. Why the line? Well the line processes requests like chairs, towels, umbrellas and also equipment rentals like kayaks. The problem with this line is that hotel guests and the public have to wait on the same line. If that were the only problem that would be great! The person working behind the counter is very young and NOT professional, yet he is managing all the staff working the beach. I should tell you that this service is contracted out, these are not hotel employees. Which makes sense since this is a public beach. The fellow processed our kayak request and charged our room for the rental. He then told us to wait by the beach and his staff member would help us into the kayak. We went out to the beach, but it was broiling hot and totally chaotic. So I went back and spoke to this fellow, and asked him if we could just take the kayak now on our own. He refused, as he said his staff members had to assist us. I asked him when that would be and he snapped. Again, I got a litany about 8 people not showing up for work and they were overwhelmed. This time I told him that I understood his problem, but his problem shouldn't be my problem. Since it was quite clear his two staff people were busy moving beach chairs, umbrellas and getting food, I demanded our money back. I could see us waiting an hour in the sun for the elusive staff member to help us. So another poor service experience! Which seems to be a trend in Naples. Every manager we have met is complaining about poor and unprofessional staff. That may be so, but I blame management for hiring such inappropriate people and not training them. 


We did land up kayaking for 90 minutes. Thankfully the second concierge we interacted with today, told us about another rental company we could get to by car. 

Certainly today's water experience was lovely, but it doesn't compare to our last two trips down in the Everglades. The Everglades is simply fascinating, peaceful and filled with wild life. 
We took the kayak on the Cocohatchee River and passed all these sights. Very different from our Everglades experience the past two days. Yet the water was smooth, very shallow, and the sky was blue. Unlike in DC. 
The river is lined with many housing communities. 















We paddled under this bridge. Fortunately Peter is an experienced oars men, because there is NO way I could have managed this kayak for 90 minutes. I literally would have been paddling in circles. 








View from under the bridge!
Our two major sightings today were this white egret and.....



















A mother osprey and her chicks. We were up close and personal with these birds and I assure you an osprey is one big bird! I find it quite amazing that they mate for life and use the same nest and location year after year. 

All I know is if Mattie were with us, he would have said to me.... look a mama and her babies.... like you and me! 

No comments: