Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 21, 2019

Friday, June 21, 2019

Friday, June 21, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2003. Mattie was one year old. In the middle of our living room, we had a play pen. At that age Mattie was all over the place, and when I needed to cook or do something for a short period of time, Mattie would have play time in the pen. With that said, Mattie truly did not like self entertainment. He wanted our attention and most definitely wanted a play partner. So literally most of the time Peter or I were in the pen with Mattie. 


Quote of the day: New evidence is continually emerging, showing that people and their dogs have incredibly close bonds that resemble the ones that parents share with their children. ~ Alicia Buttner


I picked Sunny up from boarding on Monday. By Monday afternoon, we noticed that he had a bad scratch over his left eye. I am quite sure he got it from our walk. Traditionally when I pick him up from boarding, I then take him to his favorite place to walk in Alexandria, VA. Sunny likes to sniff and check out bushes, and most likely cut his skin on a thorn. I have been cleaning it out, but today the whole area looked swollen and his eye a different size. So to the vet he went. He wasn't happy! The only thing accomplished at the vet's office, was a significant bill. Otherwise, she says it is a scrape and we should encourage him not to scratch it. Funny! She even gave us the classic Elizabethan collar. Equally hysterical. As Sunny had it off within seconds! 

Needless to say, I think it is rather ironic that Peter found the article entitled, Stressed out? Your dog may feel it too and sent it to me. Swedish researchers focused on 58 people who own border collies (like Sunny) or Shetland sheepdogs. They examined hair from the dog owners and their dogs, looking at the concentrations of a hormone called cortisol, a chemical released into the bloodstream and absorbed by hair follicles in response to stress. The research team found that the patterns of cortisol levels in the hair of dog owners closely matched that found in their dogs in both winter and summer months, indicating their stress levels were in sync.

I joke all the time that Walk season is stressful for Sunny. He isn't only stressed because he receives less attention and sporadic Walks, but that he emotionally feels the stress of me working around the clock. Sunny is a very sensitive fellow and I can tell he is much happier now that I am not glued to the computer. 

But as tonight's quote points out, the bond between a human and a dog is quite special. I know the author compares it to the connection between parents and children. I am not sure I would go that far, but then again, maybe! I have gotten to know other dog owners in our neighborhood, as we are the only ones out there regardless of the weather. We are like the post office, we do our job in rain, sleet, snow, and intense heat! Several of the dog owners I have met are older than me and have never married. Yet they have dogs. The dogs are their family and one dog in particular gets treated with a bowl of ice cream every night. Something I am sure Sunny would sign up for if I offered it! My point is I see exactly what this research is highlighting in my everyday life. If Sunny were allowed everywhere I go (grocery store, restaurants, etc), I most definitely would take him. 

Stressed out? Your dog may feel it too, study suggests:
https://apnews.com/cd654537064a40adb97fe7bd1c63ba3e

No comments: