Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 12, 2019

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Wednesday, June 12, 2019


Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2008. Mattie gravitated to science and science experiments. Mainly because I think he was fascinated by how things worked. With science, he could mix things together and cause a reaction or evoke change. In front of Mattie, on the coffee table, was glassware and a test tube. Mattie loved creating mini-volcanoes in our living room. 









Quote of the day: Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great makes you feel that you, too, can become great. ~ Mark Twain


Last night we had reservations at the Ocean Room. It is on Kiawah Island, and probably the finest restaurant here. We had never dined there before and we were looking forward to the experience. 

It's the kind of restaurant, where you can't wear beach attire. So I am pointing this out because we had to change to dine there. Before I got to the restaurant, I was developing a migraine. I popped migraine meds, hoping that I would be fine. I made it through the salad, and then when our entrees were delivered, that was it! I told Peter I couldn't be at the table any more and that the food would need to be wrapped, as I needed to leave immediately. I felt very badly for Peter, who was about to bite into his rib eye. I just knew if I stayed one more second, I was going to be sick to my stomach and would be making a memorable scene. So I left the table and Peter with all the food! Fortunately our waiter was very understanding and accommodating. 

This migraine was sickening. So basically I ate nothing, until this morning. I am still dealing with a migraine today, but without the nausea. The problem with such a condition, is I can't always determine the triggers. Therefore, I could be anywhere, doing anything, and it can unfold. Which makes me nervous because not everyone appreciates how debilitating such a disease is, and therefore, I am more cautious about traveling with others. 


Fortunately it was a rainy day. I say this because it forced me to slow down. I snapped this photo from the living room window, because the morning was a total wash out! 
I love watching the pelicans fly by. They fly over our deck in large groups of 15-20 at a time.
By 11am, we ventured outside. It had stopped raining. We bicycle rode about 7 miles. Which took us to the other end of the beach. Once we got there, Peter literally walked into the Kiawah River. The beauty of Kiawah Island is that the waters are very shallow for quite a distance off shore. As you can see from this photo. 
Happy in the water. Though cloudy, with scattered showers, the water is warm. Most likely in the 70s. 




















While Peter was in the water, I was standing in the sand. You can see what was around me..... no one. With that said, it isn't desolate either. As people are walking or riding bikes on the beach all the time. In addition, there are constant beach patrol folks around, so you feel safe. But it is wonderful to not be fighting for space or dealing with noise. 

Why do I like riding down to that section of beach? Because it is less populated and therefore easier to find intact shells. Literally big whelk shells and I love my giant Atlantic cockle shell! 


The Washington Nationals sent me some professional photos today of Peter from the May 25th Unsung Heroes Day. This was Peter on the mound, before throwing out the first pitch. 
Don't you love Peter's form!??
After Peter pitched the ball, he got to get Erick Fedde (Nats Pitcher) to sign the ball. Then Peter posed for a photo with Erick and Screech, the Nats mascot. 
Erick signing Peter's ball that he just pitched. 














Check out the video the Nats sent us. I entitle it....Mattie Miracle's Unsung Hero.

https://youtu.be/xC4K_Jj49gg

No comments: