Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 30, 2019

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken on Halloween of 2006. Mattie was four years old and finally got to wear his calico cat costume while trick or treating. We made this costume together the year before, but given that Mattie was hospitalized on Halloween of 2005 with sepsis, he never got to wear this costume. Fortunately the costume was comprised of a sweat suit, Mattie's favorite material, so it stretched and fit him perfectly. The cutest cat around!


Quote of the day: There’s a lot of confusing and misleading information on the Internet about the relationship between sugar and cancer. The notion that refined sugar causes cancer or that cutting sugar from the diet is a good way to treat cancer are two common — and incorrect — claims that turn up in a Google search. ~ Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center


Given we are approaching the Halloween candy season, I find that I receive MANY emails from members in the community who want to participate in our Post-Halloween Candy Drive. I try to make it clear that the candy goes to FAMILIES (parents and caregivers) of children with cancer. Nonetheless, it isn't unusual for me to receive disgruntled emails, like the one I opened up today:
I received an email from our concierge service asking for the following: Donate your extra Halloween candy to provide a sweet treat to families who are battling childhood cancer. Benefiting the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation. I read a lot about natural health and although it is important for children with cancer to be treated as normally as possible, I find it unsettling for a charity for childhood cancer to be asking for candy, as candy (sugar) feeds cancer. Thank you for reading my email expressing my concerns.

Whenever people push back on me about candy, I could do one of two things. First I could ignore it, or two, listen and address the concerns. Given that I am NOT personally collecting the candy, but doing it as part of the Foundation, I ALWAYS respond to any inquiry. I certainly could give this woman some facts about sugar and cancer, but I didn't. I didn't because people don't always want to hear the FACTS about cancer. It is much easier to think that we can eat differently or change our behaviors and this will PREVENT us from getting a cancer diagnosis. Unfortunately it doesn't work this way and it DEFINITELY doesn't work this way with childhood cancer. Considering that MOST childhood cancers occur by happenstance and not as a result of genetics and environmental factors.

So instead, I addressed her concerns and told her about our FREE snack and item carts at local hospitals. The carts are intended for the parents and family members caring for children in the hospital. Therefore the candy on our Carts supports EVERYONE else but the child with cancer! I have personal experience both as a mom whose child had cancer and as a Foundation leader who pushes our Carts around hospital units quarterly, that candy makes a big difference! Parents thank me, and feel that the Carts are a lifesaver! When helping a child with a life threatening illness, you need as much energy as you can get to manage the 24/7 routine. Under times of crisis, most of us DO NOT turn to a granola bar. Candy, can feel like a real gift when isolated in a hospital unit and honestly when I push the Carts, I observe parents' eyes lighting up when they see chocolate... almost as if they won the lottery.

Now that's the psychosocial piece. The piece I did not share with the woman who made the inquiry is the scientific fact..... SUGAR has not be linked to causing cancer!

According to the Mayo Clinic:
Sugar doesn't make cancer grow faster. All cells, including cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for energy. But giving more sugar to cancer cells doesn't speed their growth. Likewise, depriving cancer cells of sugar doesn't slow their growth.
This misconception may be based in part on a misunderstanding of positron emission tomography (PET) scans, which use a small amount of radioactive tracer — typically a form of glucose. All tissues in your body absorb some of this tracer, but tissues that are using more energy — including cancer cells — absorb greater amounts. For this reason, some people have concluded that cancer cells grow faster on sugar. But this isn't true. 
However, there is some evidence that consuming large amounts of sugar is associated with an increased risk of certain cancers, including esophageal cancer. It can also lead to weight gain and increase the risk of obesity and diabetes, which may increase the risk of cancer.


I remember when Mattie was dealing with cancer, he practically ate and drank NOTHING. He was turned off to food for the most part. However, there were times when he had cravings for things and frankly WHATEVER it was, we gave it to him.... potato chips, vanilla shakes, donuts, etc. I am sure this woman who wrote to me today would most likely think that I was being irresponsible. However, I think what I was being was a mom. When you are helping someone who is battling a life threatening illness the last thing you are thinking about is the nutritional value to be blunt. You are thinking about.... WHAT CAN I GIVE THIS CHILD THAT WILL PUT SOME CALORIES INTO HIS BODY? So NO, I do not share her concerns and better yet SCIENCE has debunked her theory! 

No comments: