Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 20, 2019

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2009, at the Mattie March. The Mattie March was an event that his support community hosted for him. Despite Mattie's depleted state and the pain he was in, he had a good day at the event. Pictured with Mattie was Tricia. Tricia was Mattie's favorite nurse, so much so that one day while in the hospital, Mattie screamed across the hospital unit for Tricia. She came running over thinking that he wasn't feeling well. When she arrived by his side, Mattie told her that the pressing issue was that he "loved" her. It was a priceless, genuine and tender moment. 


Quote of the day: There is nothing more painful than the untimely death of someone young and dear to the heart. The harrowing grief surges from a bottomless well of sorrow, drowning the mourner in a torrent of agonizing pain; an exquisite pain that continues to afflict the mourner with heartache and loneliness long after the deceased is buried and gone. ~ Jocelyn Murray


This morning, I was running around doing chores. At some point, I glanced at my cell phone and noticed I had a voice mail message. I did not recognize the phone number. As I proceeded to listen to the message, I couldn't place the name or the voice. Despite that fact, I could tell that this woman clearly knew me and wanted me to call her back because she had something important to tell me. 

When I called her back she told me that she was Patricia's mom. Since I know several Patricia's that did not narrow it down for me. However, as she kept on talking I realized the Patricia she was talking about was Tricia, Mattie's beloved nurse and our friend. I learned today that Tricia's husband unexpected died on Tuesday. I honestly was in shock, since I just saw him in May at our Mattie Miracle Walk. He looked like the picture of health! But I know all too well how fragile life is, as one can look and feel great one minute and the next minute be facing a health crisis. 

I am deeply sorry for Tricia's loss and wish I could help in some way. Tricia was and continues to be a supportive force in our lives and I value her as one of Mattie's memory keepers. I found some photos of Mike from past Mattie Miracle Walks and posted them below. Mike will be missed and I am saddened that Tricia and her children are facing this forever loss. 

Mike entered our Mattie Miracle Corn Hole Tournament every year. He was a good sport and believed in supporting a good cause. Mike was an excellent player and typically won 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in the tournament each year. This photo was taken at this year's Walk. 















Mike was one of our winners in 2018. Tricia and her family have attended all TEN of our Walks. We know Tricia's three children, her mom, and her dogs!


















Mike in 2017!













No comments: