Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 19, 2020

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2008. Around the time Mattie was celebrating his 6th birthday. That year, Mattie had two birthday cakes. One big one at his actual birthday bowling party and a small ice cream cake for us at home. I grew up with Carvel ice cream cakes, and I had passed this tradition down to Mattie. Of course with Mattie, I had to cut out all of the chocolate in the cake, so he could eat only the vanilla. Which worked out perfectly, as he always had me around to consume the chocolate. 






Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people who have been diagnosed with the virus: 755,533
  • number of people who have died from the virus: 40,461


Today I received this photo! Apparently all of the high school seniors in Mattie's class received a yard sign to acknowledge they are graduating. As graduation has been canceled and the school is working on ways to celebrate these students and their accomplishments. I have no doubt, Mattie's school will be thoughtful to the graduating class and will try to ease the disappointment of not having the closure of graduation. 

Of course, for Peter and me, there is nor will there ever be closure for us. Because for Mattie this is just another milestone in the long list of milestones that we have missed with him. Sure the other students may be disappointed, but there is a big difference between a missed graduation versus death. Life goes on without a graduation and students will have the opportunity to re-invest their interests, hopes, and plan in college. As you can see from this sign, Mattie's school made a yard sign for him. From my perspective there is no winning emotionally as I would have been disappointed if Mattie did not get a sign and at the same time I feel wounded that Mattie died and isn't able to celebrate his graduation. He doesn't have a future and therefore, this sign reminds me of what has been taken from us. 

Though I did not want to walk today, Peter got me outside. We walked around the National Mall and what we saw was LIFE. People were out and about and we even saw the US Park Police. I love seeing those horses!
Though people are social distancing, they are outside! Clearly people are tired of day 32 in lock down. It reminded us that the human spirit is stronger than a virus. 

No comments: