Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 22, 2020

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. We spent the weekend in San Diego with my parents. Mattie was a dynamo and always on the go! After a full day of touring, he was still energized. So in the afternoons, Peter and I took Mattie to the hotel pool to expend more of his incredible energy. As I always say, Mattie somehow knew his time on this earth was going to be limited, so he never wasted a moment of it. 







Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins
  • number of people who were diagnosed with the virus: 2,279,879
  • number of people who died from the virus: 119,969

I was jolted awake at 5am to my mom screaming. I literally leaped out of bed to find out what was going on! What was happening? My dad was trying to get out of bed to go to the bathroom and he slide down the side of the bed and was practically on the floor. My mom was holding my dad when I got into their bedroom. I tried to raise my dad, but he was absolutely dead weight. So I called for Peter. Peter was able to get my dad up onto his feet. But all of us are on edge waiting for the next shoe to drop. The physical aspect of my dad's care is hard but the worst part of all of this for me is his cognitive decline and his constant exhaustion.

I wish I could have gone back to bed after being jolted awake, but we didn't! Peter and I started our day of chores as the moving company is coming bright and early on Monday to begin my parent's move out! Peter and I never stopped moving today. He has moved most of the small furniture pieces to my parent's new home. We have set up their bathrooms, kitchen, bedroom, and offices. Peter is also managing all the tech needs such as washer/dryer, TV, cable, and internet transitions! Meanwhile, what didn't I do today. I helped my dad shower and dress. I made breakfast, cleaned up, vacuumed the entire house, cleaned all the bathrooms, cleaned the kitchen, the laundry room, cleaned out the refrigerator, did laundry, packed up all the bedding on the beds, and put together a valise for my dad and for my mom. The list was endless! 

We went out for an early dinner to celebrate Father's Day! It was my dad's first day out of the hospital and I would say he is absolutely worn out. He spends a good portion of the day sleeping and though his healthcare providers have told him to drink more fluids and to walk daily, we can't get him to do either! I am signing off as tomorrow I am sure will be a hellish day. Moving under the best of circumstances is hard, but during a pandemic and when managing a health care crisis, it is close to impossible.


No comments: