Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 10, 2020

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 -- Mattie died 558 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. Each August, I would take Mattie to Los Angeles to visit my parents. We knew Mattie needed physical activity and stimulation, so we introduced him to Griffith Park. Ironically, when I was growing up, I never visited this park. But it became a favorite of Mattie's. At the park, he could do everything from taking a train ride, riding horses, to going on an old world carousel. 



Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 1,979,850
  • number of people who died from the virus: 112,006

I woke up at 4:00am today, so we could catch a 7am flight to Los Angeles. Naturally we had no idea what to expect at the airport or on the plane, given that we are still dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic. There was no passenger screening for temperature checks. For the most part, everyone was masked and keeping their distance. 

When we boarded the plane, I could smell the clorox or bleach, while walking down the jetway. Things smelled clean and we could see that everything was wiped around our seats. Though I came prepared with gloves and disinfectant of my own and cleaned our entire space anyway. But what as also a wonderful surprise was the plane was new. Things looked fresh and clean, which was appreciated. 

In the midst of this, we had a wonderful flight attendant. He even wrote us a note saying how grateful he was that we flew with him today. As our presence enables him to have a job. It was very touching. This fellow couldn't do enough for us and he even brought me hot tea almost every two hours with a special tea bag! I did not ask for it, he was just that kind. 

When we landed, we managed our way to the rental car agency and picked up a minivan to help with my parent's move. From there, we went grocery shopping and then headed to my parent's house. Los Angeles is now in phase 3, which means more freedom than Washington, DC. We took my parents out to lunch today, the first time they have been outside in months. Our goal was to change the setting, to try to inspire my dad to eat. 



I would say that my dad got around today with his walker and really made good strides. He was lucid by day and even did a better job eating. However, as 5pm rolls around, you can see that he becomes exhausted and his confusion and disorientation increase ten fold. He can ask you the same question twenty times and he has no memory of asking the question or of the responses you have been giving him. Yet he gets agitated and fixated for a response. He does things that make no sense. For example, he was released from the hospital a week ago tomorrow. Yet in this 7 day time period he has refused to take his socks and shoes off. He says he is more comfortable with them on! Rest assured, I got them off today!

We had the opportunity to meet my dad's physical therapist today, who is lovely. He agreed with me that my dad needs an occupational therapist and a nurse to help us with his bathing. If all of this wasn't enough to adjust to and manage, let's add a move to the mix. Peter and I are trying to figure out how best to accomplish my parent's move especially since we don't have as much time as we would like to devote to this, because my dad needs our full attention. 

No comments: