Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 27, 2020

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. That day, Mattie's art teacher dropped off this Christmas wreath. She designed it and each kindergarten student wrote a message on the leaves. We were all very touched by this gift and we hung this wreath on the inside of our front door. It remained there for years. While Mattie was undergoing treatment, our support network was absolutely incredible. It was daily gifts of love and kindness, which will never be forgotten. In fact, when Mattie died, we did not only lose him (which was awful enough), but we also lost a large percentage of our support community. 



Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 19,111,443
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 333,069

Peter's day started at 3am. Which is an absolutely horrid hour! At the airport, he sent me a photo of the tree and toy train (by the arch on the right)! Somehow seeing these two things together reminds me of Mattie. 

When my dad woke up today he was disoriented because he wanted to know if Peter had left! He didn't hear Peter walking around or the front door opening when he left, so he assumed Peter was still in the house. Needless to say, my parents were both out of sorts that Peter left. He brought a certain left of energy and life to the mix. Clearly something that I don't do, perhaps because I am constantly working, doing tasks, and putting in 12-14 hour days. But I agree, Peter's presence is missed and it helps to have a companion to share the daily grind in "paradise."

I truly should record what a typical day looks like here. In fact I may do this tomorrow, because I feel almost manic here. Jumping from one task and demand after another. I don't know how my mom does this when I am not here and this is my greatest concern. How long will this be sustainable..... my mom doing this day after day or me flying out here every other month, staying a month at a time. I don't know if I am coming or going. Though my dad has physical limitations, they pale in comparison to the cognitive changes and decline. The constant asking of the same question over and over again, looking like he's in a mental fog, his lack of engagement verbally with us, and his lack of insight in how his constant demands impact us. Literally it is impossible to get anything done, because my dad needs supervision, and when he asks for something he wants it instantaneously. Sure I could give him feedback about this, but unfortunately 5 to 10 minutes later, he will forget what we discussed. 

What did today entail..... getting up at 6am, making breakfast, doing brain games and a 20 minute walk with my dad, a 3 mile walk with my mom, cooking linner (late lunch, an early dinner), serving food, cleaning up, two loads of laundry, opening up mail and packages, throwing out garbage (which at this house getting mail and dealing with garbage is a journey --- 500 foot walk to front of house), mopping bathroom floors, scanning and sending in caregiver notes to caregiving company, and the list goes on. 

Though Peter left the house early, he was kind of enough to unload the dishwasher and put things away, as well as cut some fresh roses in the garden. Beautiful gifts for me, which I did not expect!

No comments: