Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 6, 2020

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2002. That was Mattie's first Christmas. It was an exciting time for our family and when Mattie was alive, it was important to me that we celebrated holidays and we always had a Christmas tree up. That year, I had a lot of baby's 1st Christmas ornaments on the tree! Never guessing that we wouldn't have many more Christmases together!

Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 14,747,102
  • number of people who died from the virus: 282,231



I woke up this morning to find Peter under the weather. It appears that he had food poisoning. Which is confusing to me since we ate the exact same thing yesterday. Needless to say, Peter had a rough day today. 

Meanwhile, outside my window, I saw an accident today. Two cars were speeding around the corner and collided into each other. What I saw next was over the top. The driver of each of the cars in the accident knew one another. In fact, all the people in both cars got out and were walking on the highway. One person removed the license plate off the car that spun around (the car you see near the police car), and then all four of the people in the accident pushed the car into the middle of a traffic lane, and then abandoned the car on Route 66. They all escaped into the car that was hit, but was still operable. I honestly couldn't get over what I was seeing in broad daylight. This is a safe, or used to be, part of the city. But it was clear to me that the car left on the highway was stolen. 


This was NOT a red letter day for my neighborhood today. Right outside our building is this tent. We have had this issue before in our neighboring park, but now tent cities are forming all around us, and residents have very little recourse with the city. 
I snapped this photo of the Washington waterfront, because I wanted you to notice the orange tent in the distance. Sunny and I walked passed these three orange tents today. What are they? COVID testing sites. Mind you, I walk twenty feet away from these tents, because I find them suspect and don't want to be around anyone mulling about and waiting for testing. This is the third upsetting thing I saw in the District today. I frankly do not know who is running these COVID testing tents. There is NO official representation near the tents, like Quest or Lab Corp. Or even an affiliation with a hospital system. There isn't even DC Department of Health signage. So from my perspective these tents are operating illegally and I wouldn't put a toe in such a testing site. 

I spent a good portion of the day baking a three layer coconut cake. I am testing out recipes for Christmas. This cake is supposed to look like snow. I love when the recipe claims that the prep time is 15 minutes. Who on earth are they kidding!? I spent hours on this cake and all I can say is it better taste stellar. I will find out tonight. 


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

How did the cake taste?? Inquiring Minds want to know!! It's beautiful.

I'm so sorry about the tents and lawlessness running amok. I'm glad you walk on Roosevelt Island.

Cheryl