Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 22, 2021

Monday, November 22, 2021

Monday, November 22, 2021 

Tonight's picture was taken on Peter's birthday (November 13) in 2008. Quite a sight for one's birthday. Mattie had his second limb salvaging surgery the day before. It was a long long surgery, over 12 hours. As you can see, I parked myself on Mattie's bed and kept a close eye on him as he was dealing with intense pain and of course seeing all these wires and tubes connected to one's self is scary. Not to mention that two out of his four limbs were in casts. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 47,863,314
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 772,260

In between chores and tasks, I started with my day with a conference call. I had the wonderful opportunity to chat with Georgetown University Hospital's ONLY psychologist for cancer patients. You heard that correctly, one professional for tons of patients. That may sound awful, but some hospitals don't even have one of these psychosocial clinicians. Which is remarkable and pathetic at the same time. 

I connected with this psychologist, because I learned that Mattie's hospital is using our Psychosocial Standards of Care to design their pediatric psychosocial program from the ground up. When I heard this, I felt so many emotions. One of which was being proud, as Mattie's suffering has to have MEANING. This psychologist and I are on the same page and we are talking the same language. My hope is that the institution will use Mattie Miracle as a resource, and I hope this is the start of our continued relationship. Needless to say, this call was exactly what I needed today. It made me focus and discuss something I am passionate about, rather than what my days are typically like which is inundated with physical chores and dealing with house and moving issues. For an hour I felt like a professional and a person who had something meaningful to contribute.

Of course that feeling doesn't last long. As soon as I got off the phone, I had to run chores to the bank, post office, grocery store, help my dad throw out paperwork, cook, and the list goes on. I keep grounding myself, by remembering what it was like trapped in a PICU when Mattie was coping with cancer. Back then, I longed for the day when I would be free to do mundane everyday tasks. Everything is relative and Mattie's illness taught me so much about life that had absolutely nothing to do with cancer. 



No comments: