Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 13, 2022

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. Mattie was home from the hospital and that day went to his "girlfriend" Charlotte's birthday party. Charlotte's family coordinated this party around the time Mattie would be home and able to attend. Mattie and Charlotte were amazing friends and they brought out the best in each other. As you can see Mattie was seated right next to Charlotte at the party. Ironically Charlotte did not like Scooby Doo until Mattie introduced the show to her. She feared it was scary. Mattie convinced her it was fun and watched it with her. Which explains why Charlotte was able to have a Scooby Doo themed party. 



Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 63,959,111
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 846,217


I got up this morning at 6am, so that I could get myself ready for the plumber's arrival. This meant making breakfast and starting chores earlier, so that I could get my dad up by 8am to shower, dress, give him breakfast and do exercises with him. Honestly by the time the plumber arrived at 10:30am, I felt like I put in a full day. 

The plumber spent the ENTIRE day with us. He left at 6pm. He changed all the toilets in our house. I truly did not want to do this, but given that each one had issues, we have no other choice. I want to avoid floods at all costs. To change toilets meant that the water had to be shut off for most of the day. Major issue as going to the bathroom is a frequent occurrence in my house. I set up a commode in my office downstairs for my dad, and he most definitely needed it. My typical day is a three ring circus, but today was over the top. I felt great pressure as my parents were uncomfortable with the lack of water and by 2pm, I told the plumber that I had to take my parent's out to lunch. 

I LOVE our plumber. He has worked for us since we moved in. We have spent a lot of time together and he has introduced Mattie Miracle to his company. A good guy. Fortunately, as I left him alone with our house and he was even keeping track of Sunny for me while he was outside. Needless to say I feel absolutely frazzled and unable to accomplish ANYTHING that I feel I need to do for myself and the Foundation. It is hard not to feel frustrated and angry. Maybe not a mature response, but it is most definitely a human one. 

When I got back home, I had about two hours of cleaning to do in each bathroom and on our first floor tile floors. Just going from the outside in around here carts in a tremendous amount of dirt and the plumber was back and forth all day today. So all I can say is I have reached my maximum for today. 

No comments: