Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 9, 2022

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. This was the state of our living room back then. It featured Mattie's little Christmas tree (yes even in February), train tracks, a village of Legos and a host of other things. You will notice a drop cloth down on the wood floors, because Mattie was creating Valentine's and other things. Needless to say, when Mattie was in our lives, our living and dining rooms were full to capacity with all sorts of creations and projects. I remember after he died, the stark contrast to our lives was beyond unimaginable, beyond comprehending and surviving. 




Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 77,162,208
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 910,716


It's been a day! My dad was very sore today from yesterday's four hour testing procedure. He could hardly move from bed without great assistance. But I got him up, showered, and dressed. He had his occupational therapist visiting this morning, shortly after breakfast. What I truly resent about Medicare is the simple fact that professional home health care services are not covered beyond 6 sessions. Or at least for Part A of Medicare. Frankly by six sessions, you are just getting used to the therapist and progress is being made. But just when progress is made, services are cut off. Leaving the caregiver to either continue the exercises alone or start with another therapist who accepts Medicare Part B. The whole thing makes my head spin, and only adds more to my already FULL plate. 

After my dad's therapist left, my mom had many requests for help regarding address changes, paying bills, and managing insurance issues. I can tell my mom that I want to address these issues only one time a week, but that never works. Instead she gets worked up about mail and any email correspondence and therefore it has to be dealt with instantaneously. Which means I have to drop everything. So I was busy with phone calls and doing four loads of laundry, as today I changed all the linens on their bed. Which is a work out in and of itself. 

My dad's therapist and I would like to wean him off of using so many pillows in bed. He sleeps propped up and in the process, his body isn't used to lying flat. Which has many limitations especially when in a medical facility or in need of a medical procedure and testing. 

Needless to say, poor Sunny never got a walk today. It may have been 55 degrees outside, but I never got outside. My days are occupied with tasks.

As if I don't have enough going on, our painting company is coming back to examine our crown moldings this afternoon. Fortunately Peter snapped photos of the rooms before they were painted in July/August. The house prior to painting did not have these cracks (you see the current problem in these photos). The painting company is fighting with us about this and they are claiming the cracks were there and therefore we have to pay for them to be fixed. 


The cracks are all over the house! Around all the molding. Thankfully I found photos that Peter took which proves my point.... these are not pre-existing cracks. Honestly I just want to scream, as something I thought was done and off my plate has reared its ugly head yet again. 




No comments: