Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 12, 2022

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2005. This was classic Mattie entertainment in our home! Of course I would say that Peter inspired Mattie and together they were quite the pair. What they were trying to imitate for me was their version of a bug's face!




Quote of the day: If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward. ~ Martin Luther King Jr


It maybe March, but we began the day with snow. Typically I do not drive in the snow, because believe it or not, I never learned how. I learned to drive in California and I feel this limited my ability to handle all driving conditions. But given my busy days at the hospital, I decided I had to pull it together and go grocery shopping today. As I haven't done this in about two weeks! Our refrigerator was getting bear and whatever I had in it really needed to be tossed. 

Peter is still not 100%, but is thankfully making a strong come back to feeling better. His stomach has been upset for days. Ironically the grocery store was busy today. The check out person asked me if I was "snow shopping." Meaning stocking up because it is snowing! I said NO! I was buying things because my dad has been in the hospital for almost two weeks and I have no food in the house. 

 

My mom and I got to the hospital around noon. At which point I helped my dad with his lunch tray, reviewed his day, and logged about it. If we don't write it down, within five minutes he forgets anything he just did. In fact he can eat lunch, I can clear his tray away, and minutes later he will ask when's lunch. It is quite a commentary, which is why he can't be left to his own devices at home, and certainly NOT in a hospital. 

My dad had a very busy day today, starting at 7am. The highlights of his day were taking a shower (the first one in ten days) and walking up and down 16 steps. They are trying to work with him on this so that he can easily transition home next week. Because of the pacemaker, my dad can't put pressure or weight on his left hand/arm. This makes walking and getting up difficult. But they are working with him on this. In addition, he apparently walked 50 feet without a walker or cane today. I have NO IDEA why they are doing this with him, but perhaps they are showing him that he can balance more than he thinks. Nonetheless, with me he will always be using a walker. 

Yesterday they started my dad on 40mg of prednisone. It was the last resort because no topical creams were working to reduce the intense rash on his back. In fact many of the staff in acute rehab have never seen a patient react to adhesive like my dad. His rash was raw, spreading everywhere, and oozing as well. He was very very uncomfortable and couldn't concentrate on anything other than scratching. Which only made the rash worse. The prednisone seems to be working. They will begin tapering it down to 30mg tomorrow and Monday (20mg on Tuesday and Wednesday, 10mg on Thursday and Friday, etc). In addition because my dad is allergic to steroids, they are premedicating him with 10mg of baclofen (a muscle relaxant) to help prevent intractable hiccups (non-stop hiccups which require hospitalization). 

The days are LONG, as I got home at 7pm. So I am signing off as I need to make dinner and catch up on chores, just to repeat this day yet again tomorrow. 

No comments: